Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raised Spa/Jacuzzi - cracked tile line repair

1. Back To Top    #1

Raised Spa/Jacuzzi - cracked tile line repair

Hello,

I have a crack around my spa/jacuzzi. I ripped off the waterline tile, cut a 2" band, and a secondary 3/8" band on the crack itself. I stuffed Quikrete hydraulic cement in the secondary band. However I still need to fill the primary band. It's 2" high and 1.5" deep. I have about 15' to cover and have a few questions. What is the spa wall normally made of? And what material an I use to fil this gap? It's behind waterline tile so wondering if I can I just use concrete?

IMG_3536.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raised Spa/Jacuzzi - cracked tile line repair

I am in to watch this one and learn. I hope you get an answer soon.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, concrete is fine to use there. Is there an expansion joint between the coping and the deck? Hard to tell, but if not that could be part of the problem.

On the way out I noticed the title says raised. So, maybe not relevant.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the reply pooldv. Yes, I had the pool guys add in an expansion joint around the perimeter of our pool and spa.

For waterline tile, I have thinset and grout from the pool store. If concrete is used and knowing hat its porous, would the grout or thinset prevent water for leaving the spa?

5. Back To Top    #5

Grout and tile is what provides the waterproof barrier. Same as for a gunite/Shotcrete pool, which are also concrete, just applied differently.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you ... I appreciate your response.