Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

First time pool owner

So we thought it'd be fun to buy a new to us house with an existing pool. I've been reading through the pool school pages, have a TF-100 test kit, and think I have an idea on which direction to go. The pool water is clear, but there looks like there is some darker film growing on the walls. The filter pressure indicates it is still in the "clean" zone. More details on pool in signature.

Test results:
    Water Temp = 65F
    FC = 2
    pH = 8.2
    TA = 160
    CH = 200
    CYA = 30
    Salt = 6600 (I think this is not correct, as the SWG controller thinks the salt level is low)
    CC = 0

From reading thru Pool School, it seems as though my first steps are to:
    1. Drop pH to 7.2 with acid, then aerate to get the TA down to 70. May require repeating to achieve this... Then shoot for a pH of 7.6.
    2. Add bleach to raise the FC to 4.
    3. Do the overnight chlorine loss test to see if I have something growing, then SLAM if I do.
    4. Redo the salt level test and also check the SWG cell/controller to make sure it's operating correctly (currently set to run at 20% for around 6 hrs a day).

Anything I'm missing? The SWG control panel has a sticker that says the salt level should be 2700-3400 ppm, does that sound correct?

Thanks, Ryan
    18,000 gal IG free form pool w/spa (2004 install), pebble finish, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy ProSeries Stealth pumps (SHPM2.0 for pool, SHPM1.0 for spa), Pentair Booster Pump LA01N, Hayward T-Cell-15 SWG w/Aqua Logic controller, Jandy LX heater, Spa Blower 1-6316220F, Kreepy Krawly Legend pressure cleaner, Taylor TF-100 test kit + K-1766 salt test, city water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time pool owner

Turn swcg off for oclt
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

Yes, 2700-3400 is a normal salt level

You're going to want to run your pH at 7.8 during normal operation, it will want to be there anyway.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! I'll post back numbers after running tests again...
    18,000 gal IG free form pool w/spa (2004 install), pebble finish, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy ProSeries Stealth pumps (SHPM2.0 for pool, SHPM1.0 for spa), Pentair Booster Pump LA01N, Hayward T-Cell-15 SWG w/Aqua Logic controller, Jandy LX heater, Spa Blower 1-6316220F, Kreepy Krawly Legend pressure cleaner, Taylor TF-100 test kit + K-1766 salt test, city water

5. Back To Top    #5

For a SWG, ideally you want your CYA to be between 70 - 80. Also your FC should be 4 - 6ppm. You want to check that your SWG is generating chlorine correctly. My test kit shows a high salt level as well even though my system and the local Leslies are much lower. I just go with what my system says as it seems to work.

The PH is going to drift up as you use the SWG. Adjust your pH to 7.2-7.8 and not any lower. Monitor your pH and when it climbs to 7.8 add acid to lower it back to 7.2 - 7.5

Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    36,000 gallon IG Gunite (40 x 20), 1.5 HP Hayward pump, Pentair Nautilus NS-48 DE filter, 2 skimmers, 12 - (2 x 20) Fafco Solar Panels (Goldline controller not hooked up yet), Hayward Swimpure Plus SWG, Blue Pearl Robot cleaner. New Dr. Wellness X-12 standalone Lifestyle Spa.