Cont'd issues with brown staining

Jul 2, 2009
NE, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been battling the brown staining for about a month. I'd posted earlier about my issues and had some great responses. I was able to use the AA method along with the metal free and my water returned to blue.

My current problem is: my water isn't clear. I have some algae and cloudiness remaining from the winter months (we had some pump issues so the pool sat for several weeks). I was in the process of clearing up the water with holding it at shock level when I encounter the brown stains so I treated the stains but I'm still battling the cloudy water. So yesterday I started the shock level process again and I woke up to a brown pool again. So my question is: in what order should I treat the problem. Get the water clear first or treat the stains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for the fast response. So it sounds like the lower pH and CL levels will be a continued thing unless I do a partial drain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure I understand but, regardless, you should stay absolutely focused on your SLAM. Address all your other issues when the SLAM is complete

Yes, after the SLAM lower FC levels and lower ph levels will help reduce staining going forward. A partial drain and refilling can help to dilute the iron concentration depending on what the source of the iron is and how long it's been since the pool was filled. When draining a vinyl pool we recommend leaving a foot of water in the shallow end to prevent liner shift, shrink, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.