Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cont'd issues with brown staining

1. Back To Top    #1

Cont'd issues with brown staining

I've been battling the brown staining for about a month. I'd posted earlier about my issues and had some great responses. I was able to use the AA method along with the metal free and my water returned to blue.

My current problem is: my water isn't clear. I have some algae and cloudiness remaining from the winter months (we had some pump issues so the pool sat for several weeks). I was in the process of clearing up the water with holding it at shock level when I encounter the brown stains so I treated the stains but I'm still battling the cloudy water. So yesterday I started the shock level process again and I woke up to a brown pool again. So my question is: in what order should I treat the problem. Get the water clear first or treat the stains.

18x36 IG vinyl liner, sand filter, approx 26500 gals, Aquabot pool cleaner
    Loving my pool, thanks to the BBB method :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cont'd issues with brown staining

Y9u should SLAM the pool first to get rid of the algae and then work on the stains. Pool School - Stains in Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what pooldv said.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys for the fast response. So it sounds like the lower pH and CL levels will be a continued thing unless I do a partial drain?

18x36 IG vinyl liner, sand filter, approx 26500 gals, Aquabot pool cleaner
    Loving my pool, thanks to the BBB method :)

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by HotNTexas View Post
    Thanks guys for the fast response. So it sounds like the lower pH and CL levels will be a continued thing unless I do a partial drain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure I understand but, regardless, you should stay absolutely focused on your SLAM. Address all your other issues when the SLAM is complete
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, after the SLAM lower FC levels and lower ph levels will help reduce staining going forward. A partial drain and refilling can help to dilute the iron concentration depending on what the source of the iron is and how long it's been since the pool was filled. When draining a vinyl pool we recommend leaving a foot of water in the shallow end to prevent liner shift, shrink, etc.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach