SLAM - TA Rising a bit (The Woodlands, Texas)

Jun 30, 2016
Spring, Texas
Guys,

I started getting the pool ready last week after being out of town a week and coming back to a green pool. I started by getting the PH down and began slamming yesterday. I added some CH to get it up as well yesterday. Below are the numbers for the last few days.

Since FC is 16 this morning I will continue to SLAM again, but was curious if I should worry about the TA, which seems to be rising and what the appropriate level should be since the goal says 90+?

PHFCCYACHCCTA
Goals7.5 -7.85.0-7.030-50250-300 70-90+
7-Mar8.20901750
8-Mar7.60901750110
9-Mar7.762000.5120
10-Mar7.741750120
11-Mar7.6162500.5130

Also, I realize the CYA is a bit high, but I will deal with that after getting the pool stable. As for the CYA, I am going to try the very controversial Bio-Active product. I've seen some negative stuff on it, but I also know two people who used it and had great results.

For a SLAM, forget everything except the initial lowering of pH (to about 7.2) then focus on an accurate CYA and maintaining the correct FC. First question - Do you plan on keeping the CYA that high? (Disregard) - you already answered that one. :) If so, then you need to increase FC to "35". If you decide to reduce CYA now, then don't add any chemicals until you exchange the amount of water you want to adjust the CYA a bit lower as you see fit.

Everything else (TA, etc) can wait until you pass the SLAM. Hope that helps.

One more question, i got the FC up too 39-40 on Sunday. When I tested after sundown last night it was 39. This morning it was 36. My question is, Since I am already above shock level do I leave as is and retest after sundown tonight and see if it has dropped more than 1ppm tomorrow morning? I am under the impression that since it dropped 3 ppm last night that their is still an algae presence.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, you have not yet passed OCLT

Passing the OCLT requires three things...
A. Pool water should be crystal clear with no sign of algae anywhere
B. CC's test result should be .5 ppm or less
C. You should not lose more than 1 ppm FC overnight.

UPDATE -
Ok, so yesterday the water was Crystal Clear, I see no signs of Algae and the FC did not drop more than 1ppm overnight and CC is 0, PH is 7.6.

Yesterday morning the FC was down to 22 ppm and after a bright warm sunny day yesterday, this morning's FC was still 22 ppm. Is this normal, should'n it have dropped some?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.