Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA

1. Back To Top    #1

TA

My TA is 110...do I need to lower that?
    60K 53 X 23 X 3'-10' IG Grecian Concrete aka "The Beast"
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir
    Dolphin M500 aka "The Beast Master"
    Sta Rite Max E Pro 2 HP - Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T.
    My Pool Thread: Old School Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA

You can. How's your pH looking? Especially if your pH keeps rising so lowering the TA helps keep it more stable. As you add MA to lower pH, it will also drag your TA down with it.

If you don't need/want lower pH, use MA to bring your pH down to 7.2 then use a fountain or water features to bring the pH back up again. Your TA will remain lowered. How much lower I can't say exactly as its something you sometimes need to repeat.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

My ph was 8.2 yesterday...I added 96 oz MA today and it is down to 7.5....pool math did not tell me to add any more MA
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, but after you added that MA, did you retest your TA to see if it came down some too?

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

Yikes...no...will do first thing in morn
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

My ph was 8.2 yesterday...I added 96 oz MA today and it is down to 7.5....pool math did not tell me to add any more MA
    it's because you set your target to 7.5
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is the longer answer on TA. The lower your TA is the more slowly your pH will rise. Until the TA gets too low and your pH becomes erratic. That usually happens with TA around 40 or 50. So, if your TA is 100 your pH will rise faster than if your TA is 60. Every time you add acid to lower PH it will also lower TA. Gradually, the TA and pH will reach equilibrium. As the TA slowly drops the pH will rise slower until they get to a happy place. That usually happens with TA around 60-80 in a non-saltwater pool, 50-60 in a saltwater pool, and pH at 7.8 in the south-southwest, from TX/OK over to CA. (Another reason we ask for your state in your location)

I believe that TA in tap water in OKC is high though, 140ish?, so the more evaporation you have the more your fill water will push TA up.

If you are tired of adding acid every X number of days you can actively lower your TA following this process, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Danny....I will test fill water and post.
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir