Paul & Crystal

Silver Supporter
May 25, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
Could someone please help me understand this section of the pool math page...am I supposed to be testing for something here? Thanks!

CSI Calcite Saturation Index - requires pH, TA, CH, CYA, Temp, uses Borate, Salt
Less than -0.6 is suggestive of problems for plaster, tile, stone, and pebble pools.
Greater than 0.6 is suggestive of problems for all pools.

Generally speaking, the target for CSI is to keep it very near zero. While your CH test result tells you how much calcium is in the water. The CSI tells you if it will stay in the water, or if the CSI is on the positive side (over about +0.6) will precipitate as scale on the pool surface. On the other hand, if the CSI is too far on the negative side the water will actually pull calcium out of your plaster and tile grout damaging the pool.

Your CSI levels are fine. The acceptable range, per PoolMath is between -0.60 and +0.60. I generally shoot for between zero and -0.30.

Was researching this a little tonight and came across this topic. My CSI is currently -.81. These are my very consistent test results:
FC 5.0
CC 0.0
pH 7.5
TA 70
CYA 60
Salt 3300
Borates 50

I can do some sensitivity analysis with pool math but was wondering which of theses results would you guys modify
and by how much?

Was researching this a little tonight and came across this topic. My CSI is currently -.81. These are my very consistent test results:
FC 5.0
CC 0.0
pH 7.5
TA 70
CYA 60
Salt 3300
Borates 50

I can do some sensitivity analysis with pool math but was wondering which of theses results would you guys modify
and by how much?
What's the CH? And how do your numbers compare with the suggested range Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs ?

What is your pool surface? Negative CSI is of most concern to those with plaster surfaces.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard, side by side comparison: my pool/ swg balance

FC 5.0/4-6
CC 0.0/0.0
PH 7.5/7.2-7.8
TA 150/50-300
CH 150/50-300
CYA 60/70-80
SALT 3300/3200-3400
BORATES 50/30-50

CSI -.81/-.6 TO +.6
I know the negative CSI is ok for vinyl pools, but is this ideal for my SWG or pool metals (ladder, etc)

I do not think your CSI is a concern for the SWG or ladder. If you are inclined to adjust, raise your CH a little or keep your pH around 7.8. Not sure about your fill water or how much rain you get. I have a plaster pool and would just keep my pool closer to 7.8. Adding CH would be last resort. Not much rain this year and my CH has gone from 250 to 425 in 4 months via fill water.

High CSI can cause calcium to precipitation on any pool surface as scale. Low CSI can cause the water to become corrosive to plaster and grout as it draws the calcium out of those surfaces. In a vinyl lined pool there is no plaster surface to damage. The vinyl is not effected since there is no calcium there to be had.

So high CSI is of concern in all pools. Low CSI not a concern in vinyl lined pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.