Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CSI

1. Back To Top    #1

CSI

Could someone please help me understand this section of the pool math page...am I supposed to be testing for something here? Thanks!

CSI Calcite Saturation Index - requires pH, TA, CH, CYA, Temp, uses Borate, Salt
    Less than -0.6 is suggestive of problems for plaster, tile, stone, and pebble pools.
    Greater than 0.6 is suggestive of problems for all pools.
    60K 53 X 23 X 3'-10' IG Grecian Concrete aka "The Beast"
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir
    Dolphin M500 aka "The Beast Master"
    Sta Rite Max E Pro 2 HP - Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T.
    My Pool Thread: Old School Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CSI

After you enter all your test results PoolMath will calculate your CSI for you. If it is out of range post some test results and we can help.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I will check that out.
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine says -0.03...-0.19...what do you think?
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Generally speaking, the target for CSI is to keep it very near zero. While your CH test result tells you how much calcium is in the water. The CSI tells you if it will stay in the water, or if the CSI is on the positive side (over about +0.6) will precipitate as scale on the pool surface. On the other hand, if the CSI is too far on the negative side the water will actually pull calcium out of your plaster and tile grout damaging the pool.

Your CSI levels are fine. The acceptable range, per PoolMath is between -0.60 and +0.60. I generally shoot for between zero and -0.30.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, H400 & Heliocol Solar, Dolphin S-300, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit, Smart Home/Alexa pool control

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with chief. Your CSI is great. -0.6 to + 0.6 is fine. I prefer -0.3 to 0 for saltwater pools to help reduce scaling in the SWG cell.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Was researching this a little tonight and came across this topic. My CSI is currently -.81. These are my very consistent test results:
    FC 5.0
    CC 0.0
    pH 7.5
    TA 70
    CYA 60
    Salt 3300
    Borates 50

I can do some sensitivity analysis with pool math but was wondering which of theses results would you guys modify
    and by how much?
    Tega Cay, SC
    2016 build 16x32 polymer IG-Speck BaduMV 2.4 hp variable speed pump-individually run 2" plumbing-4 returns-1 skimmer-Doheny Discovery robot-
    jetted bench-Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 cartridge filter-Circupool RJ60+ SWG-Hotspot FPH heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by GamecockTim View Post
    Was researching this a little tonight and came across this topic. My CSI is currently -.81. These are my very consistent test results:
    FC 5.0
    CC 0.0
    pH 7.5
    TA 70
    CYA 60
    Salt 3300
    Borates 50

I can do some sensitivity analysis with pool math but was wondering which of theses results would you guys modify
    and by how much?
    What's the CH? And how do your numbers compare with the suggested range Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs ?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

What is your pool surface? Negative CSI is of most concern to those with plaster surfaces.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, H400 & Heliocol Solar, Dolphin S-300, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit, Smart Home/Alexa pool control

10. Back To Top    #10

Sorry, CH is 150. Pool surface is vinyl.
    Tega Cay, SC
    2016 build 16x32 polymer IG-Speck BaduMV 2.4 hp variable speed pump-individually run 2" plumbing-4 returns-1 skimmer-Doheny Discovery robot-
    jetted bench-Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 cartridge filter-Circupool RJ60+ SWG-Hotspot FPH heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Richard, side by side comparison: my pool/ swg balance

FC 5.0/4-6
    CC 0.0/0.0
    PH 7.5/7.2-7.8
    TA 150/50-300
    CH 150/50-300
    CYA 60/70-80
    SALT 3300/3200-3400
    BORATES 50/30-50

CSI -.81/-.6 TO +.6
    I know the negative CSI is ok for vinyl pools, but is this ideal for my SWG or pool metals (ladder, etc)
    Tega Cay, SC

12. Back To Top    #12

I do not think your CSI is a concern for the SWG or ladder. If you are inclined to adjust, raise your CH a little or keep your pH around 7.8. Not sure about your fill water or how much rain you get. I have a plaster pool and would just keep my pool closer to 7.8. Adding CH would be last resort. Not much rain this year and my CH has gone from 250 to 425 in 4 months via fill water.

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

13. Back To Top    #13

Jagger,
    My fill water has a CH of about 50. Which is a good thing I suppose.
    Tega Cay, SC

14. Back To Top    #14

Jagger,
    My fill water has a CH of about 50. Which is a good thing I suppose.
    Very jealous...if it was not 90+ everyday I would be tempted find an attachment to fill from my indoor faucets and throw softened water in their occasionally

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

15. Back To Top    #15

Sorry, CH is 150. Pool surface is vinyl.
    o

So are we saying CSI is not a concern for vinyl pools in the same way that CH levels is not a concern for vinyl pools.
    20,000 gal, In-Ground (built in 2007)
    Vinyl lining / 1HP Hayward SuperPump / Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter / Hayward Gas Heater / Liquid Chlorine,Bleach (4 Gallon Liquidator)
    Dohney Discovery Robot
    Testing Method: TFTestkits/TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by jgofnj View Post

So are we saying CSI is not a concern for vinyl pools in the same way that CH levels is not a concern for vinyl pools.
    I don't think anybody said that. Scaling is a concern for all pools, more here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by jagger2005 View Post
    Very jealous...if it was not 90+ everyday I would be tempted find an attachment to fill from my indoor faucets and throw softened water in their occasionally
    On a previous Pool, I connected my auto fill to soft water. This dramatically reduced my CH climb.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

High CSI can cause calcium to precipitation on any pool surface as scale. Low CSI can cause the water to become corrosive to plaster and grout as it draws the calcium out of those surfaces. In a vinyl lined pool there is no plaster surface to damage. The vinyl is not effected since there is no calcium there to be had.

So high CSI is of concern in all pools. Low CSI not a concern in vinyl lined pools.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks Chief! So you would let a -.081 CSI ride in my Vinyl pool?
    Tim
    Tega Cay, SC

20. Back To Top    #20

Yes.
    TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast