How long to run Polaris 280?

JuYuHu

Mar 7, 2017
Houston, TX
Hello, I am a new pool owner. Our pool tech told us we can mostly leave our Polaris 280 in the pool except when we want to swim. He also recommended 2 to 3 hours a day of cleaning. Is this recommended? What run times should I be looking at for more efficiency?

Thank you!

Ju,

You only need to run it when the pool floor is dirty with dust, sand, leaves, etc. This is another thing that is really dependent on your pool, your location, etc.

I have a robot, not a water powered cleaner, but I usually clean my pool about once every three days on average.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have a Polaris 280. Since we have a lot of surrounding trees, I usually run it at least 4 days a week. Each run takes 2-3 hours to completely clean the pool.

Hope this helps.

I keep my 280 in the pool all summer long unless I have a party with a lot of people than I take it out. You can buy the silt bag on amazon for the Polaris 280.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our Polaris 280 (aka "Splash") lives in the pool year round. He comes out and sits on the deck next to pool when we are swimming, then right back in. For rare fancy guests he gets banished behind the pump house.

I run it about 2 hours daily using an ancient mechanical timer; that seems to keep my 17x35 pool pretty clean. When I get a fancy automation with phone control, I might not run it every day, at least skipping days when the solar cover is on. The booster pump draws about 1100 watts, so 2 hours at my $0.18/kWh is around 40 cents a day, or $146 a year. With better skip-day control I'd probably run it half or less between days we don't take the cover off in the summer and only running it on weekends when I can change the bag more often in the leafy winter.

One tip -- the bag is a lot easier to shake out when it has dried in the sun for a couple hours, so take advantage of swim times to empty out the bag even if not full; I got a second bag so I can alternate them.

Our Polaris 280 (aka "Splash") lives in the pool year round. He comes out and sits on the deck next to pool when we are swimming, then right back in. For rare fancy guests he gets banished behind the pump house.

I run it about 2 hours daily using an ancient mechanical timer; that seems to keep my 17x35 pool pretty clean. When I get a fancy automation with phone control, I might not run it every day, at least skipping days when the solar cover is on. The booster pump draws about 1100 watts, so 2 hours at my $0.18/kWh is around 40 cents a day, or $146 a year. With better skip-day control I'd probably run it half or less between days we don't take the cover off in the summer and only running it on weekends when I can change the bag more often in the leafy winter.

One tip -- the bag is a lot easier to shake out when it has dried in the sun for a couple hours, so take advantage of swim times to empty out the bag even if not full; I got a second bag so I can alternate them.

Great tip about having a second bag and drying it out. I do exactly that. :)

Just ordered one on Amazon! I tried cleaning out the bag the other day and it was quite tedious to remove the wet debris. Next time I will just switch it out and wait for it to dry.

I do have a question about my Polaris - our pool is only 2+ weeks new - the pool tech had said it's ok to run so we ran it for two days. I then removed it after I read that we need to wait. How long is the recommended wait before running an automatic cleaner? We have quartz plaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.