How to figure out run time for pump? Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, single speed

JuYuHu

Mar 7, 2017
Houston, TX
Hi, I am new to pool ownership and this forum.

1) We just built our pool and I'm wondering how to figure out pump run time. Our pool tech told us about one hour for every 10 degrees, but I'd like to find a more precise timing.
2) Is there an ideal time of day to run, i.e. overnight or during the day when we may swim?

Thank you!

Ju,

There really is no one answer...

Each pool is a little different... You generally run a pump for three reasons:

1. To keep surface debris moving and being pushed into the skimmers. The more debris the more often you need to run the pump.

2. You'll need to run it long enough to generate the amount of chlorine needed. In your case via your 3" tab chlorinator..

3. To circulate the water to ensure the chlorine is effectively distributed throughout the pool. Two or three hours per day is all that is needed for this to happen in most pools.

Your pool tech's "guess" is just as good as anyone else's guess..

The only valid way to tell is to measure your CYA level and run the pump long enough to generate the level of FC (Chlorine) required based upon this chart... https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

1) We just built our pool and I'm wondering how to figure out pump run time. Our pool tech told us about one hour for every 10 degrees, but I'd like to find a more precise timing.
I don't believe there is any scientific basis for that so I would ignore that advise. I run for 2 hours when the water temp is 60-70F. 4 hours when it is 80F+ but not because of water temperature but because of solar.

Start at 4 hours and if everything is satisfactory, reduce run time until you see too much debris on the surface or you can't maintain FC levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.