Just finished pool school on new pool / confused about first test for water chemistry

I tried to take some pics but it's very hard to see due to the reflection and the other debris on the floor (I'm waiting to use my cleaner b/c the plaster is too new). I talked to my builder today, and he said it may be stain from something that washed into the pool but I don't see any nails or other debris like that. He suggested I go to the pool store to purchase a metal stain remover. I did purchase 2 quarts of ProTeam Metal Magic.

Does anyone have any experience using that?

Also, the pool store tested my TA to be 0 which was very odd b/c I'm still getting around 70 to 80 ppm.

I have a 4 cartridge filter. All I do is turn off the pumps, unscrew the drain, and open the ring around the middle. Then I remove the cartridges, grab my waterhose and garden sprayer and spray away. One hour total from beginning to end. After your initial wash, I would clean my cartridges every 3-4 months. I'm in my third swim season with no filter issues.

For the cartridge cleaning process - at which point do I bleed the air valve? Before or after or both?

Ok, just rinsed out the cartridges and cleaned the pool pump - not too bad!

Questions:
Finally got my TF100 test kit - my CYA is showing to be <20 - where is the best place to purchase a stabilizer to increase CYA?
I'd like to keep some chlorine tabs on hand for upcoming trip - where should I purchase them? I know Costco sells Clorox ones but don't know if they are any good or what to look for.

Thanks

SWEET! Good job getting that done! Glad it was not too hard for you!

Right now the only stuff I can find is Clorox so that is what I use.

Clorox CYA and tablets will both work. I buy mine at Walmart.

Remember the tablets will add CYA to your pool. Just keep that in mind when you go to add the CYA.

When you add the CYA put it in a sock and hang it in front of a return. Bonus points if you use a cute sock and share a picture :slidehalo:

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm planning to go to Walmart to pick up the CYA and tablets. My kids swam for the first time today, in 69 degree water! I turned on the heater so it will be warmer tomorrow. Are there any effects of temperature on the chemicals?

JuYuHu, Look at Pool Math. There is an area to put the water temp. I played with it a little and it did not really change anything on the suggested levels.

I will tell you that a pool temp of 50 and under is harder for algae to grow in. Notice I did not say impossible.

As the pool gets warmer it is easier for the algae to grow. If you keep a good eye on your pool by testing and doing what Pool Math tells you to you will be fine.

Did the kids have fun????

Did the kids have fun????

My 9 year old cried a little in the beginning b/c she wanted to swim so badly but the water was too cold!! Then her older sister told her to just sit in the tube so they ended up having lots of fun! I'm breaking the rule a bit by running the heater early... we are three weeks out from plaster, but our plaster dust has been gone for at least a week.

TF-100 CH test question...

Before I got my TF-100, I tested my CH at two different pool stores with the following results:
3/8, 200
3/13, 299

Last night 3/23, I did it myself for the first time using the instruction in the test kit (25ml), and I got 550!
This morning, I tried again, using the extended testing instructions here on TFP (using 10ml), and got 700...

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right... I waited until the color changed from pink to blue on 3/23. This morning, I continued to put in drops until it appears the blue did not change anymore (per the extended test instructions).

Is it possible for the CH to change so drastically in a couple of weeks? Is this due to new plaster?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.