Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Greetings from the Sunshine Coast, Australia!

1. Back To Top    #1

Greetings from the Sunshine Coast, Australia!

Hi team and a BIG thank you to this amazing forum and helpful posts, articles and expert comments throughout this site!

As a new pool owner (< 2 months in), I've been on a steep learning curve and only recently found this forum - something I wish I had found sooner

After pump problems (previous owner installed a 12 m.o. cheap 0.5 HP for a 70,000L pool?? which quickly rusted & burnt out), I bit the bullet and installed an Onga Eco800 Variable which has been much better at circulating the water throughout the system. Brand new QX100 Cartridges due for delivery this week which will be great too.

Being in the Sunshine Coast in Queensland Australia, the weather has been hot (averaging 32 deg C) and very humid = perfect breeding climate for algae! Recently, the chlorine had dropped and I thought I'd better jump on this forum and read up on what to do. Got tests done (at a pool shop, as my test kit hadn't arrived) and was sold a bunch of chemicals, which I'll admit DID the job, but I'd rather try and tackle any future outbreaks more subtly with your assistance in future.

4/March results prior to giving the pool a kick-start: FC 2.5, CYA 50, TA 100, CH 50, Salt 5800, PH 8.0.

Advised to add: Acid 750ml (330g/L), Phosphate Lochlor Starver M 250ml, HotZone Algaecide 1.0L (47.6g/L Copper + 40g/L Benzalkonium Choride), Clarifier 250ml (Poly-Electrolyte) and 10% Liquid Chlorine 5L just to shock the algae.

6/March self-tested results (YAY! got my kit!) after adding the above on 4/March and giving the pool a good scrub, vacuum, clean cartridges on 5/March and running pump overnight: FC 8.5, CC 1.0, CYA (couldn't test - reagent playing up, but presume 50), TA 100, CH 50, Salt 5800, PH 7.6.

Water is crystal clear and amazing! Just need to keep it this way and REALLY appreciate any advice / pointers anyone can provide.

The SWG has been running on MAX (25g/hour) for 8 hours total 0300-0700hrs and 1700-2100hrs with the Pump on Medium 2400rpm (380L/min) since the low chlorine was identified, so will start to tweak the settings and test regularly (including PH overnight drop test too).

I am really excited to be part of this forum and to contribute myself, as my expertise grows.

Many thanks and keep up the great content!

OPM.

photo before chemicals & 18hrs after chemicals added but prior to vacuuming.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~ OPM ~ Pool Newbie
    70,000L Fibreglass in-ground 12m x 4m || WaterCo Electrochlor 25 SC Self Cleaning SWG || Hurlcon Cartridge QX200 [filter area 200 sq.ft (19 sq.m)] || Onga Eco800 VarSpeed Pump || Zodiac VX50 4WD Robotic Cleaner w/200 and 100micron filters || Clear Choice Labs Total Pool Salt Water Testing Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Greetings from the Sunshine Coast, Australia!

Well hello over there! SO glad you found us and your wallet will be also!

I have a set of links I put together for new pool owners. It is a LOT of info so take it slow and ask questions as you learn!

Print these out:
    Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

That is a pretty pool!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Kim - really appreciate it!
    Yes I've been studying the resources listed and will be sure to print out and make notes as I go.

I'm keen to get this whole process & routine ticking along nicely without the need for expensive unnecessary chemicals

See you on the forum!
    ~ OPM ~ Pool Newbie
    70,000L Fibreglass in-ground 12m x 4m || WaterCo Electrochlor 25 SC Self Cleaning SWG || Hurlcon Cartridge QX200 [filter area 200 sq.ft (19 sq.m)] || Onga Eco800 VarSpeed Pump || Zodiac VX50 4WD Robotic Cleaner w/200 and 100micron filters || Clear Choice Labs Total Pool Salt Water Testing Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome! You are in the same position many of were in when you came to TFP - wishing you had found it sooner. It will take some time, but keep reading and asking questions and you'll be a confident pool owner/maintainer in no time.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Hi OPM an welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn to take control of your pool.

Firstly, well done on getting the a quality test kit but avoid the pool store in future at least for their 'free water testing' and the recommended but unnecessary pool chemicals. Apart from the liquid chlorine and acid can you ask for a refund for any unused chemicals or at least get a credit.

I'd also add that I would be surprised if you have really got on top of that algae with a quick 'shock' treatment (you may have given it a couple of body blows but not the knock out punch)- once your FC levels drop back to normal you may find it difficult to maintain your chlorine and the pool may turn cloudy again. We recommend an approach called a SLAM which is unfortunately a longer process but will ensure that you get rid of it for good.

Ask any other questions- there is a heap of help out there.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    I would be surprised if you have really got on top of that algae with a quick 'shock' treatment (you may have given it a couple of body blows but not the knock out punch)- once your FC levels drop back to normal you may find it difficult to maintain your chlorine and the pool may turn cloudy again.
    Thank you Jezza - I agree and can accept that the fight may not be over yet and will persist with testing & vacuuming as required. I appreciate the advice regarding the 'free pool shop tests' and look forward to my own testing abilities improving!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by GaryT58 View Post
    Welcome! You are in the same position many of were in when you came to TFP - wishing you had found it sooner. It will take some time, but keep reading and asking questions and you'll be a confident pool owner/maintainer in no time.
    Thank you GaryT58 - there's a lot to learn but I am willing and able! Appreciate the warm welcome

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Welcome to TFP!
    Thank you pooldv, it's great to finally be here!
    ~ OPM ~ Pool Newbie