Energy Efficient upgrade available?

Ejered

Apr 9, 2016
Oakdale,ca
Have this pump/motor unit for my inground pool spa combo. Wondering if there is an energy efficient upgrade available? Variable speed etc. not even sure what I have... thank you! Looking to shave the PG&E bill!!!

- - - Updated - - -

imagejpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9349.jpg
    IMG_9349.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9348.jpg
    IMG_9348.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9346.jpg
    IMG_9346.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 42
It depends on how much you are will to spend up front. From cheapest to most expensive options:

1) Reduce run time. If your bill is that high, you are likely running the pump too long. You could probably reduce run time quite a bit. Currently, I am running only 2 hours per day. This costs nothing up front and will save considerably on your power costs depending on your current run time.

2) You could replace the motor on your current pump with a two speed. Low speed saves about 75% in energy costs but it will cost you several hundred dollars.

3) Replace the entire pump will a VS pump. Many power companies offer rebates that could lower the upfront costs (~$800) to make it competitive with a motor upgrade. Long term the VS will save the most in energy costs but usually costs the most up front.

Do you currently have have an electronic controller or a pump brand preference?

Here a two options:

Pentair Intelliflo VS

Hayward EcoStar VS

Because of the spa, I would stick with one of the larger VS pumps.

Also, if you don't already have surge protection installed, you will need to do that as well.

EcoStar should work for you. Aqua Logic, Pro Logic and Aqua Plus require main software revision 2.65 or higher.

Go to diagnostics to see what main software revision you have.

If you don't have at least 2.65, you can use relays to control the pump.

The model number of your automation is printed on the inside of the door to the automation.

Also, check for rebates from your utility.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.