Amount of rebar, sanity check?

Dec 10, 2016
Austin, TX
I am building a pool in solid limestone. In fact it is so solid that my utility trenches hold water for weeks.

I had planned on #3 rebar in 8" squares throughout..... I was thinking that was somewhat overkill. I spoke with me slab engineer for a sanity check, and he said that all of his pool builders are now asking for #4 rebar on 12" squares with 2 mats.

That is a lot of steel. Much, much more than my last pool. Is that crazy or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a pool designer nor an engineer, and I know they build pools in soft soil with less, but I'm the typical more is better on some things, particularly this. Aside from cost, can you put too much steel in a pool shell? But, I think 4 on 12 would suit me in that environment overkill or not. How much less can you safely do without, I will let someone else answer. I know a builder or two recently here gave our members a proposal for pools just Northeast of loop 410 and they listed rebar as #4 on 10" centers, and I thought it excessive with all the hard Caliche out there, but I'm obviously not in a position to criticize... sorry I am no more help..

He is recommending two mats that are separated by 6 inches. So think of 4 on 12 times two. With 12" minimum wall thickness. I googled a ton of pool construction pictures and out of 100 or so pictures, I saw maybe 2 with two mats....... and they were deep with tall walls above grade. My pool is 4' deep with maybe 20 walls above grade that will be mostly backfilled later. That is why I am second guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that the American Concrete Institute calls for double curtain rebar in any wall exceeding 10". (Curtains in walls, mats in floors).

I suspect that they are just being cautious, but you end up paying.

I would suspect that 10" walls with #4 rebar on 10" centers should be enough but I don't know your exact situation.

If you don't go with their plan, they might not want to do it or might not offer structural warranty.

Maybe get an independent engineer to see what they advise.

Have you received bids from contractors with specifications?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.