Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Controller Setting - Temp Differential

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Controller Setting - Temp Differential

What is everyone setting their solar controller temperature differentials at?

I'm trying to figure out a good setting that provides efficient heating with minimal valve cycling. The temp differential that I am referring to is the difference between the panel temp which is basically air temp at the panel compared to the water temp of the pool.

I currently have my start temp differential set at 6 degrees and the stop differential set to 2 degrees.
    12,000 Gallon IGP 4.0-6.0 Deep, Pebble Tec, Heliocol Solar Heating, Solar Touch Controller, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, Hayward C2000 Cartridge Filter, (3) Hayward LEDs, and AutoPilot 42,000 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Controller Setting - Temp Differential

Mine is 4 and 2. If there is heat up there I want it in my pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you notice any cycling issues with the range so close?

4. Back To Top    #4

No, it hasn't been an issue. It's been set like that for 4 years or so. We tend to either be hot or cold. I could see that it might be a little worse for you with more rainy or cloudy weather.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach