Need Advice on Picking a Pool Finish

Jan 14, 2017
Dallas, Texas
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I've owned a home with a pool for about 10 years now, but I think it was installed sometime in the early 80s, and it appears that it's never had any kind of major work performed on it (except for having the filter and pump replaced about 6 years ago) since it was put in. So now we're dealing with leaking skimmers, a shifting and cracked deck, nonfunctional deck drains, loose coping, dead light fixtures, a crumbling wall between the pool and the spa, and loose tile all over the place. Long story short, it's due for a huge renovation, and it's finally about to get one.

We're going to be ripping out the shoddily-constructed wooden deck, taking out all of the various concrete porch floor elements, and pouring a single-level concrete foundation that will cover most of our backyard space. It'll then be paved with a nice calibrated flagstone, and then we're changing our roof line to create a true covered porch with outdoor kitchen and living space. Once all that is done, it's on to the pool itself, where we're going to fix all the problems that we know of, and the pool will be getting a major facelift with new coping, tile, lights, and finish. It's the finish element of this job that we're having trouble deciding on.

The pool's finish is currently a basic white plaster, but both my wife and I want to ramp up the color a bit to make it pop more than it does now. We were actually leaning toward finishes that were quite dark in the blue family when, thanks to this forum, I became aware that the color you pick to finish the pool can really affect the temperature of the water. This is an important factor in our decision because we live in Dallas, and the pool is south-facing and in full sun from mid-morning to early evening. The pool is about 36,000 gallons and about 8.5 feet deep at the deep end. As things are right now, the white plaster pool keeps the water pleasantly cool even in the August heat, without the aid of a cooling pump. My biggest question is, just how much of a difference should be expected in the water temperature if we move from a plaster that is white to something that has a light blue as its base color?

Oh, and the product we'll probably be using is a StoneScapes Puerto Rico Blend with Touch of Glass added in. We just have to make the right choice as to which exact variety will strike the right balance between our preferred aesthetic and keeping the pool cool during the hottest months of the year.

Thanks for any feedback!

To my mind, go with the colour you like, because you have an awesome opportunity ahead of you to get just what you want

I also think it is cheaper to cool a pool than heat it. From what I have heard a fountain run at night can have a significant cooling effect. Also a darker surface will radiate more heat at night than a light one so leaving any cover off a dark pool should in theory cool quicker than a lighter pool

Any additional heat you would get in the shoulder seasons may be welcomed

From a post from Jasonlion
There is no question, a darker pool finish will warm the water more than a light pool finish. The science on that is totally straightforward. The only open question is how much. Anecdotal evidence suggests numbers around five degrees, comparing very light finishes to very dark finishes, though that is far from settled and could easily be higher or lower.

Ben,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your pool questions.... :snorkle:

While color is important, I think feel is more important.. No matter what color you chose, make sure you visit a pool with the same material that you will be using. Some stone finishes are rougher than sandpaper.

The little 4" x 4" sample is just not good enough to know how rough they can be...

Based upon the difference between my pool, which is very white/light blue in color, and the pool at my daughter's house, which is much darker, My guess would have been about 7 degrees difference in the middle of the summer.. So, fairly close to Jason's estimate.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

While color is important, I think feel is more important.. No matter what color you chose, make sure you visit a pool with the same material that you will be using. Some stone finishes are rougher than sandpaper.

The little 4" x 4" sample is just not good enough to know how rough they can be.

Jim R.

To that end, I'm looking for feedback about StoneScapes Puerto Rico blends. I haven't seen one of these pools in person yet, but in the samples, the Puerto Rico blends have a substantially smoother aggregate than other varieties in the StoneScapes line of products. This seems to be mostly due to the reduced size of the mineral particulate. However, it does seem to be a newer variety and as a result I've had a tough time finding images to view or testimonials to refer to.

Has anyone around here had experience with StoneScapes Puerto Rico blends?

We love our Stonescapes Tropics Blue with "Touch of Glass"

FullSizeRender%201_zpsrfqb7ufe.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpse9dqy07y.jpg

We recently put in a pool and I AGONIZED over the finish but went with stonescapes tropics blue, puerto rico blend, which has abalone and glass beads and love it. it is a lovely color. we have lots of grey stone which at times makes it look blue/green like a lagoon and when the sun is beating down on it, it is a lovely medium tone blue. we are very happy with it. I feel it is a "natural" looking color.
Here are some photos, including my husband enjoying a nice white wine on our barstool!
View attachment 63991View attachment 63992

We recently put in a pool and I AGONIZED over the finish but went with stonescapes tropics blue, puerto rico blend, which has abalone and glass beads and love it. it is a lovely color. we have lots of grey stone which at times makes it look blue/green like a lagoon and when the sun is beating down on it, it is a lovely medium tone blue. we are very happy with it. I feel it is a "natural" looking color.
Here are some photos, including my husband enjoying a nice white wine on our barstool!
View attachment 63991View attachment 63992
would love to see pics of your pool.. wanting tropics blue...thanks so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.