Replacement Cell

Feb 5, 2017
El Paso, TX
Hi,

Currently I have a SWCG but no cell. The control box is a Aqua Rite Goldline. I believe the software version is r 1.40. My question is is it worth buying a replacement cell or just utilize the bleach method?

Also, would it be fairly straightforward to install a new cell?

Pictures are attached of the SWCG control box and my equipment pad.

Thanks.
2f8bae33303b03d4ad9493cef98759c9.jpg
838a5505f2ba29a009f409cf39b30e5c.jpg
7f47c50a6ede09d5649f0d2e46f1687f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not entirely for sure. The control box seems to be functioning correctly. At least it has power, I'm able to scroll through the different diagnostic readings.

As for the cable, it cut at the end and frayed at multiple points throughout the length of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll need the cell housing (unless it's laying around there somewhere) and the replaceable cell that sits inside it. You'll also need some plumbing work, and it's pretty tight from the heater to the valve that splits the water to the spa and pool, but certainly do-able. You could get a couple of quotes, but just to ballpark it, you could hire someone to do it including the parts for maybe $500 to $1000.

If you plan to be there for ~4+ years, you'll break even on the cost of chlorine. Otherwise, bleach will be cheaper in terms of total $. If you replace the cell, you won't have to go get chlorinating liquid, which is valuable depending on your circumstances. How big is the pool?

Pure speculation, but it strikes me that there's a reason that chlorinator was cut out. I'm wondering if a prior user just didn't like it, or perhaps something failed (maybe the cell merely wore out) and in their eyes was too costly to fix. It could have been because of a worn-out cell and the Texas anti-SWG phenomenon. It does make you wonder if the power supply failed in some way. I'd be asking the landlord if they know.

The fact you had low pH suggests the pool was chlorinated with trichlor pucks in a floater, or dichlor powder. Glad to hear you're switching to either bleach or back to the SWC :)

- - - Updated - - -

... and great year for Chelsea!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.