New Owner-Builder in Las Vegas

Jun 13, 2016
Las Vegas
Ok, after more than a year looking into Owner-Builder pools, my wife and I are finally settling in and getting bids. We're doing a geometric pool with a rock slide/waterfall. Trying to bid that out, but having a hard time finding good workers to send it out to. Has anyone done a rock slide in Vegas and have suggestions as to subs for the rock slide? Much appreciated.

I'll post the plans soon and pictures.

Thanks!
Paul

Here are a couple of pictures and Plans.
JRjkUbPrO4Eg3SzJzm84DIeDgD5gTP114ed-3MG-1ic

k4_ddBlLD6gxYrqNtOuG0YK6hMRaF5cCvLJSnqQnTSM

9pL1lcF5ynPbhTU_tF5LcsqsL7DUbpyJHeohUT57WXM

Congrats! Like Big Will said, pics aren't working.

You can upload to places like photobucket or even facebook and use the IMG codes for embedding the pics. If you use facebook from your mobile device, you will need to open the website, not the app, go to the album, click on your picture, then click see full size, then once it opens as full size, copy that URL for your IMG embedding. Photobucket is easier as it already has multiple URLs available for copying.

Cant wait to see pics. I have seen quite a few posts from LV so hopefully they will chime in in addition to Big Will.

Great design - I am impressed with the way the slide, waterfall and grotto work with such a geometric pool. The shape and fit to the house looks great. Plus, the overall shape with the various benches running around the edge of the pool look great.

There are a couple of recent Owner Builds in the LV area - I am sure if you message them they would be able help you find some good contacts to get quotes. Below are 3 recent ones.

BeachHead who commented just above is the most recent one I have seen: Another underway in Las Vegas

Another recent Owner Build: Owner / Builder Build - Las Vegas..Pics and Prices Inside!!

This is one that was a built around the time we built ours so I followed his build with interest: New Owner/Builder Pool in Las Vegas
--------------
Good Luck - I will be following your progress!

Love your design! Something to consider with a shallow end water depth of 3.5' is shelf depth and step height. At a shelf water depth of 6", your step risers as designed will need to be 12" like ours which are steep. And if you go 9-12" on the shelf, your steps will be better at 10-11" risers but then you will likely need an entry step into the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Love your design! Something to consider with a shallow end water depth of 3.5' is shelf depth and step height. At a shelf water depth of 6", your step risers as designed will need to be 12" like ours which are steep. And if you go 9-12" on the shelf, your steps will be better at 10-11" risers but then you will likely need an entry step into the shelf.

This is a good point. Grumpie made this suggestion to us as well and we do have a 10" deep shelf and the steps themselves are 10" which is fine but adding up the height above water line and coping, the first step was going to be over 15" which was too much after testing so we had a small step put in for the sun shelf.

Love the design!

Pcullen,
Im also getting ready to start my build and in the process of getting bids. I have the same list of subs you do but have also received a few more from other members. Not sure if any would be of use to you. I wouldn't mind talking to you and seeing where your bids are at. Mine seem to be coming in pretty high.

Check with Mike at ArizonaFallsLV. He did my rock grotto/waterslide. Mentally prepare yourself to spend a lot of money though. It was so expensive I almost kicked it off my build. Now that it's done though I'm glad I did it.

Thanks so much for the feedback. We will definitely look at that and see how it feels once we dig the pool.

Paul

- - - Updated - - -

Check with Mike at ArizonaFallsLV. He did my rock grotto/waterslide. Mentally prepare yourself to spend a lot of money though. It was so expensive I almost kicked it off my build. Now that it's done though I'm glad I did it.

Could you DM me and send me a picture. I spoke with Mike and had the same kind of sticker shock. It's coming in about 3-4K higher than anticipated. I'd love to see a real picture of his work. I have no problem paying for quality work, but was not impressed with what I saw on his website.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a good point. Grumpie made this suggestion to us as well and we do have a 10" deep shelf and the steps themselves are 10" which is fine but adding up the height above water line and coping, the first step was going to be over 15" which was too much after testing so we had a small step put in for the sun shelf.

Love the design!

Thanks for the info. We'll take a look. Appreciate the information.

So we slightly modified the back, raised the back wall 12 inches. looks pretty nice in the artist rendition and we've picked out some nice looking tile to put there. going with a glass tile for the spa spill over and a 12x24 tile for the trim. Still no decisions on decking. Would appreciate feedback.

IMG_1518_zps5xmni18s-1.jpg

IMG_1517_zpsci9wkvqg-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Need some information about pool equipment. I received the following list of items and I don't know where to begin. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks.

IMG_1566_zpsgijldgqq-1.jpeg

Have you considered placing a few rocks around the perimeter of the pool to help your in the waterfall?

- - - Updated - - -

Scrap the pool cleaner and go for a robot.

Swap the IC40 for the IC60

Replace the WFE pump for an AFP-180

Trade the Mastertemp for a Raypak 406A

The Raypak has much fewer moving parts and is very reliable. It is also quieter and has less friction loss for the plumbing.

Do some searches around here and you'll see it is the unanimous pick for homeowners add service techs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.