CYA Free Chlorine Tabs

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
As of yet, are there any type of tabs that don't raise the CYA of the water?

I have been adding chlorine to my pool daily but I'd love to add an in line chlorinator for tablets. My buddy has one and he loves it.

I only have a return in the shallow end of my pool and adding bleach in front of that return has bleached my liner terribly.

Short answer is no. There are no CYA free tablets.

Longer answer - there once were cal-hypo tablets that had their own specialized dispenser but they are messy to work with and cause CH to increase.

Bleach is best. I would advise you to NOT add it to the shallow end but the deep end instead and then brush after adding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a company that is introducing a compressed cal-hypo tablet that they claim will be able to be dropped in the skimmer. I haven't been able to find a sample to try yet though so the only information is their advertising. BUT, regular use of these tablets will increase CH levels. There is no free lunch, pure chlorine is a gas so any solid or liquid form had to be bound to something else.

As for discoloring your liner, how quickly do you pour it in? Do you add muriatic acid there as well? How quickly do you pour that? I ask because I have been using liquid chlorine exclusively in my pool for 8 years and the liner has not shown any signs of discoloration where I pour chlorine in.

Sent with Tapatalk on HTC Ten

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For long term use of bleach, a dosing pump is worth every penny. I got the whole stenner set up for about $300 and hardly touch it beyond adjusting the timer occasionally. My reservoir holds 15 gallon, that would be about 35-40 days worth in hot weather. The dose goes in every day at the same time whether I'm there or not. I clean the skimmer and test each day to confirm I stay on target. The bleach is slowly pumped right into the return line so it's always well diluted. I can't imagine how pool care could get any easier.

I had a chlorinator and used pucks on the old pool. I could never get it set to come even close to maintaining a level and constantly fought algae. Now my test results are always right where I expect every day. Getting a good test kit and kicking those pucks to the curb was the best thing I ever did for the pool.

My pool pump and filter sets right next to the house so i put my stenner pump and reservoir right on the other side of the wall in the basement utility room and routed the 1/4" tubing out to the pump. My basement is climate controlled so it works out great, the bleach tank stays cool and the pump protected from weather. I used a 15 gallon plastic barrel for a reservoir, bought it for $20 on craigslist but even a 5 gallon bucket reservoir would offer a couple week capacity for my pool. I installed the 3 gal/day fixed rate pump and control it with a timer. It pumps about 16oz per hour and I run it up to about 3hr per day in the hottest weather.

My original plan was to setup the stenner in one of those patio storage boxes, but decided the basement was more convenient. A small sprayer tank like this one might work good for install into one of those. Some users in the automation forum have dug a hole and buried their reservoir to both hide and help keep their bleach supply cool.

My stenner setup is fairly simple, I used a fixed rate 3 gallon per day pump with a 15 gallon plastic barrel for a reservoir. I drilled and tapped the PVC elbow on my return line and screwed in the duckbill injector and check valve that came with the pump. To control the pump I used a simple outdoor timer that I picked up at walmart. Worked OK but I found the time setting on the timer gained about 5 min every day. Then I somehow made a mistake setting the timer, ran the stenner all night and pumped in over a gallon with the pool pump off. This is the reason I went with the slower 3 gallon pump rather than the 10 gal/day pump. If something went wrong it would not be able to get out of hand quickly. The bleach pumped slowly and dispersed well enough that no damage was done other than the FC got up to 15 ppm that morning.

I have since upgraded the plug in timer to a hard wired, dual circuit intermatic digital timer. The intermatic controls both the pool pump and the stenner. The stenner circuit of the timer pulls it's power from the pool pump circuit so the stenner is unable to come on unless power is already going to the pump.

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

For long term use of bleach, a dosing pump is worth every penny. I got the whole stenner set up for about $300 and hardly touch it beyond adjusting the timer occasionally. My reservoir holds 15 gallon, that would be about 35-40 days worth in hot weather. The dose goes in every day at the same time whether I'm there or not. I clean the skimmer and test each day to confirm I stay on target. The bleach is slowly pumped right into the return line so it's always well diluted. I can't imagine how pool care could get any easier.

I had a chlorinator and used pucks on the old pool. I could never get it set to come even close to maintaining a level and constantly fought algae. Now my test results are always right where I expect every day. Getting a good test kit and kicking those pucks to the curb was the best thing I ever did for the pool.

This is exactly what I was thinking of doing. So your chlorine tank is actually in the basement/house? Are you worried about the pool water potentially backing up into the house if the check valve somehow fails?

This is exactly what I was thinking of doing. So your chlorine tank is actually in the basement/house? Are you worried about the pool water potentially backing up into the house if the check valve somehow fails?

Even if the check valve fails the stenner pump also acts as a check valve. The pump tube is always pinched off at one point by the rollers inside the pump. Even if the stars aligned just right and water came backwards, it's only a 1/4" line so the leak would not be very big. Almost certainly it's going to be severely restricted by the duckbill, check valve or pump and the basement is not really finished. Painted walls and floor, other than a few area rugs there is not much to get wet. I also have a floor drain nearby.

Put the chlorine tank in one of those washing machine plastic floor basins. You could even put a moisture sensor in the bottom to alarm if water is detected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsmith99

Can you post of picture of how the 1/4" tube from the Stenner pump exits the house/basement? Did you use any sort of grommet? Did you silicon around the 1/4" tube where it exits the house? Just thinking about when they run cable wire into a house. They always use some safety measure to prevent rain water from entering the house where they drill the hole.

Also - the tube that goes from the Stenner pump into the plastic 15 gallon barrel - is the tube secured in the barrel somehow? Did you just drill a hole in the top of the barrell and push it through? Is the end weighted at all?

I appreciate all your help!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.