Need Replacement Filter for 16 x 48 Coleman Pool

Feb 21, 2017
Auburn, CA
Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking since last summer, trying to learn as much as I could about setting up and maintaining my new above ground pool. Hubby and I chose a 16' x 48" Coleman Above Ground Steel Frame pool. However, we spent a majority of last summer struggling with the filter. I had purchased an Intex 2800 GPH Sand Filter Pump at that time to use instead of the pump that came with the pool. Unfortunately, I was never able to get that Intex pump to work right. First, my husband and I dealt with the fact the hoses that came with the filter did not seem to fit the pool openings and the hoses that came with the pool didn't attach to the filter. We purchased adapters and were able to finish the set up as directed. We turned the pump on and it seemed to work OK for a day or two, but then it started what I can only describe as "surging". It also seemed to not be moving the water very well either as a result. Some online research seemed to indicate it was getting air in the system somewhere, but after 2 weeks of dithering, tinkering, and dabbling, we gave up on the Intex filter as we could never find the source of the air leak and, therefore, it never stopped that dagblamed surging.

At that point, I hooked up the Coleman Pool Filter pump that came with the pool and it worked just great. No problems whatsoever. Then, at some point after we closed the pool in early October, our beloved dog got a hold of the pump power cord and chewed through it. Now we have no pump again and Coleman doesn't appear to sell standalone replacement pumps. So my questions is, what pump can I buy that will be a suitable replacement for Coleman pump or what pump would be a decent upgrade that I might not have so much trouble setting up?

Thanks in advance!

i have the intex 2100 pump and filter. i will be hooking it up to the same pool. the only difference is i am adding a Hayward skimmer instead of the factory intake. i will be cutting out the factory installed return jet and adding the one that came with the skimmer. this will make everything work together. i am also going to be hard plumbing all my pipe. going to be using the included pump to attach to the factory intake and running that to my solar heater and fountain. this is how i plan on doing mine this year. hope this helps out some.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.