random questions

ag0207

Oct 11, 2016
Belton/TX
My pool has been crystal clear thanks to TFP but have been wondering about 2 things:

1) I brush the pool once a week & have a robotic cleaner that stays in the pool 24-7 & runs twice a day for an hour (pool builder set it on this schedule). This seems excessive to me. Those that have a robotic cleaner how often do you run it (frequency a week and for how long? my pool is ~15,000 gallons 33X18 free form) & do you still brush your entire pool weekly or do you focus on the areas the robot has trouble hitting? What do you guys do when the robot is not in use (pull it or leave it in)?

2) Water temp in my area is already in the mid 60's & my SWG is reading low salt level (level it is reading is 2600). I have the Taylor drop test that gave me a result of 3600 (where I want it). When the water temp was in the 80's the SWG seemed to be pretty accurate. Is this just an error because of the cooler temp's? Should I just ignore it?

Thanks

1) I use the robot (Dolphin Nautilus) every swim day. I also brush the entire pool weekly, it is important to brush often even if you use a robot. When the robot is done I pull it out, empty the filter cartridge, put the cartridge back in and store it in a large Rubbermaid container. I wouldn't leave it in 24x7 as it seems that would shorten its life span. It would also be annoying to swim around.

ag,

In my experience, the Pentair SWCG's are not very accurate at determining the salt level when the water temperature gets below about 60 degrees. I have three of them and they all seem to read lower salt readings than they should when cold.

Is your cleaner powered by water pressure or by a low voltage power supply? At first glance anyway, I believer your cleaner is a pressure side cleaner that requires pumps to be running before it works..

Could be there are more than one kind of Pentair Legend cleaners???

Just because your builder set up a schedule does not mean you can't change it to your liking. If your pool normally stays pretty clean you can set the cleaner to only run once a week or whatever schedule works for you.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

My pool has been crystal clear thanks to TFP but have been wondering about 2 things:

1) I brush the pool once a week & have a robotic cleaner that stays in the pool 24-7 & runs twice a day for an hour (pool builder set it on this schedule). This seems excessive to me. Those that have a robotic cleaner how often do you run it (frequency a week and for how long? my pool is ~15,000 gallons 33X18 free form) & do you still brush your entire pool weekly or do you focus on the areas the robot has trouble hitting? What do you guys do when the robot is not in use (pull it or leave it in)?

2) Water temp in my area is already in the mid 60's & my SWG is reading low salt level (level it is reading is 2600). I have the Taylor drop test that gave me a result of 3600 (where I want it). When the water temp was in the 80's the SWG seemed to be pretty accurate. Is this just an error because of the cooler temp's? Should I just ignore it?

Thanks

The answer to 1 is "as often as conditions require." You're in the best position to judge. If its clean after your first cycle then a second cycle is superfluous. In-season I run my robot anywhere from daily to 3X a week, depending on conditions (as well as pool usage). Nor right or wrong answer.

In a normal week, I run my cleaner 1-2 times. As fall approaches, with leaves and pine needles falling, it can be 2+/week if the cover is open. And if we're having company come over, I will typically run it before they come. Like Geebot said, not real right or wrong answer.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I know there is no concrete rule on this, I just wanted to hear what everyone else does. Twice a day seemed excessive to me since I rarely get any debris in my pool (who knows maybe it is because the robot runs twice a day). I will tinker with the times and see if I can get the same results with less frequent run times.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.