Weird Spa Problem

Aug 12, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hello, I have a hot tub/spa that's part of the pool system. It's almost three years old and I haven't had any problem like this until recently. What's happening is that **sometimes** after using the spa, the user will shut it off and go inside, but the spa only partially shuts down. What I mean is this: The remote control and control box show it's shut down, the valve rotates back where it's supposed to be and the heater goes off ... but one or two jets (out of six) continue to operate like a spa. By this I mean full pressure out of those jets but none at all out of the other five or six. These jets look exactly like they would if the spa was actually operating.

The problem doesn't seem to happen every time, but the last two times it did happen, I turned "on" the spa again and shut it off, and both times everything shut down properly. Last night my son used the spa again and this morning we had the same two jets still in "spa" mode. Unfortunately starting the spa again and shutting it down didn't solve the problem today. I tried the startup/shutdown trick twice with no effect. In fact, now I have a third spa jet that's operating, although that one is only at partial pressure. I watched the valve rotate both directions and it appears to be totally normal. There are no apparent leaks in any of the equipment, at least I don't see air in the pump basket or leaf catcher and the concrete base around everything is dry.

I can't understand how this can happen. It's almost as if the valve doesn't shut completely (appearances notwithstanding), except if that was the case, shouldn't ALL the jets be operating at least partially instead of just one or two at full strength??? I'm calling the pool company but I wondered what ideas anyone else had about what might cause this. All equipment is Pentair Intelli-Whatever and nobody's touched any of the settings.

Open the return side valve up (you'll have to remove the actuator) and I'd bet the valve is not properly closing. It could be that the two jets that are running are the first two in the plumbing loop and so they are getting enough flow to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.