Is the drain plug necessary for cleaning filters?

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
I know you are supposed to shut the pump off, release the air from the filter and then drain the filter (I have slide valves to shut the water flow) in order to remove and clean the cartridge. I have a Pentair clean & clear cartridge filter.

However, I was reading a lot of problems and issues people were having from either breaking the cap by trying to open it or cross threading.

My question is why do you have to drain the water out of the filter to remove the cartridge and clean it?? I had an intex cartridge and would just plug the pool and remove the cartridge even with water in the filter????

If it is necessary is it a better idea to just replace the drain plug with a spigot with an on/off handle?

Thanks!

Hello. I've got a C&C also. I removed the threaded 1.5 inch drain plug, added a threaded 1.5 inch connector (schedule 40), a piece couple inches of schedule 40 then a 1.5 inch ball valve. It's now my drain line when needed. Works well. I'll post the link.

Thanks for that. Though I'm not sure with my level of handiness I could do that. I guess my question is, why do you need to empty the water from the filter at all? Can't I just lift the cartridge, clean it and then put it back in with water in the filter?

Ah ok. I didn't realize that was the reason. I thought it was because the water needed to be empty to remove the filter. Since its so hard sometimes to open and close that plug, maybe I'll just drain it every other time I clean the filter cartridge.

How many times do you clean the cartridge? Mine gets a hosing off when opening the pool, then another hosing off 5 months later when closing the pool. Pool gets used by wife and I everyday, and the neighbors two little kids on weekends all summer long and it's pretty clean when I close it up for the winter.

Not sure yet. I had an intex for 2 years and would clean that filter every 10 days or so. Granted I know this filter is a lot bigger but I assumed I would clean it every 2-3 weeks? I don't know though. First time with a permanent above ground and real filter.

If you are finding a lot of debris on the filter, you might want to try a skimmer sock or hairnet on the skimmer basket. They are great for catching things like little bugs and small leaves and other stuff that gets by the pump basket. I use cheap hairnets that you can get at like Amazon, and then just toss them when they are dirty.

Not sure yet. I had an intex for 2 years and would clean that filter every 10 days or so. Granted I know this filter is a lot bigger but I assumed I would clean it every 2-3 weeks? I don't know though. First time with a permanent above ground and real filter.

I think you'll find that cleaning it when closing the pool is probably the only time it'll need to be cleaned, unless you have an algae outbreak. Then you'll have to clean it often until the algae clears up. Having those skimmer socks, as mentioned above, is extremely helpful. Also using a small canister (with a skimmer sock in the canister too) when vacuuming will help keep the cartridge clean as well. Easier to clean those stupid little socks than cleaning the filter.

Canister - Hayward Standard Leaf Canister - W560

Skimmer Sock - https://www.amazon.com/Pool-Systems-USA-Skimmer-Socks/dp/B00373PFT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487635523&sr=8-1&keywords=skimmer+socks+pool

Look for the Island Recreation sales, you can load up on the socks with their buy-one-get-one sales. On occasion, they're also good for .99 cent gallons of 6% chlorine as well. Where on the Island are you located?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have a cartridge filter it should be oversized. Way oversized. 1.5 to 2 times the recommended size. With an oversized filter you should only be cleaning it 2 to 3 times per year. More than 3 times a year and you need a larger filter or you are getting a lot of stuff in the pool.

My drain plug is blocked by the house so when I clean the filter I bail and sponge. That's what preteens and teenagers are for -- grunt tasks in pool maintenance.

Hello. I've got a C&C also. I removed the threaded 1.5 inch drain plug, added a threaded 1.5 inch connector (schedule 40), a piece couple inches of schedule 40 then a 1.5 inch ball valve. It's now my drain line when needed. Works well. I'll post the link.
Can you resend/upload the picture? The link no longer works.

I cleaned mine out for the first time today. It's in a pool shed, so I'd like to figure out a cleaner way to spray out the bottom of the housing without flooding my shed again :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.