DIY rain curtain

Dec 10, 2016
Austin, TX
All,

I am contemplating making a DIY rain curtain. I am looking at getting a 2.5" schedule 80 pipe. Drilling two rows of holes in it. Putting an LED strip down the middle between the rows of holes. Then having a feed adjustment valve in one end, and a second valve on the other for adjusting over flow. Then mount the thing in an arbor over the pool.

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much flow do you have? Are you ready for the inevitable pH rise?

I can dedicate a 3hp VS to it through valving. Also the holes would be on the small size. I still need to weigh flow rate vs clog ability vs the look of many small streams.

At some point I will be adding a dosing pump, but this feature will only be on occasionally. Just when I want to look at it.

I assume the LED is mounted to the exterior of the pipe and is waterproof. Is the LED "low voltage", and what would happen if the LED wiring/electronic became exposed to the water stream - is the a shock hazard potential?

It will be exterior, adhered to the outside of the pipe.

It is water proof and low voltage. The transformer would be on a GFCI as well and mounted away from the water.

Use a drill press and a make a fixture to mount the pipe for drilling otherwise the water will shoot out every whichaway. It is impossible for anyone besides Skippy to hand drill a bunch of holes in a row at the same angle in anything, especially a round pipe. :)

Use a drill press and a make a fixture to mount the pipe for drilling otherwise the water will shoot out every whichaway. It is impossible to hand drill a bunch of holes in a row at the same angle in anything, especially a round pipe.

au contraire mon ami! Skippy taped some graph paper to our fountain pipe and a 1/16th drill bit to drill the holes in the pipe. Came out very even and organized. Pic down below under Skippy's Fountain.

LOL!!! How could I forget that? I fixed my post. :-D

you made Skippy snort out spaghetti laughing when I read him your revised comment. He says he comes from a long line of highly skilled mindless factory workers who can repetitively do simple tasks.

If I recall correctly taping the graph paper to the pipe was *my* idea.

I think a rain curtain sounds lovely.... I may have to press him back into service....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would love to see any pictures of other people's rain curtains.

My thought was to just bring my pipe over to a friends house and bribe him with some beer to use his CNC mill to drill my holes for me. The trick is that his mill is small and would take multiple setups to do it all.

All of the holes should be drilled parallel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.