Abandoning the "turnover" methodology

Nov 21, 2016
Melbourne, FL
OK, so I'm going to be brave and abandon the "turnover" methodology and let my pool chemistry determine pool pump run time. I think I'm wasting a ton of energy running my pump that much. I figure that I will need to monitor Combined Chlorine better to head off any issues before they become a major problem. Any advice that isn't on the "Pool Runtime" pool school page?

You have the right idea. Follow what your eyes and testing tell you. Visually monitor how well your pool does to skim surface debris to the poolside skimmer, and trust your daily testing. The results in water clarity should speak for themselves. As we've learned here at TFP many times, there were some outdated pool industry guidelines being used by pool owners for many years. Many people are now starting to break away from that antiquated advice. Have a nice day.

Yeah, like an FC of 1.0-3.0 regardless of what your CYA is. Before the resurface, I had a CYA of over 100, but the pool store recommendation was always 1.0-3.0. The hayward manual for my SWG calls for a 1.0-3.0 FC. I would get algae blooms, and the PS just had me add a bunch of granular shock. The real test for me doing this will be this summer when the water is 85 degrees, and the sun is beating down on my chlorine.

You have the right idea. Follow what your eyes and testing tell you. Visually monitor how well your pool does to skim surface debris to the poolside skimmer, and trust your daily testing. The results in water clarity should speak for themselves. As we've learned here at TFP many times, there were some outdated pool industry guidelines being used by pool owners for many years. Many people are now starting to break away from that antiquated advice. Have a nice day.

You have a fairly small SWCG for the size of the pool. I think that will be the deternminig factor in how long you run your pump. If you get a lot of sun you are going to have to keep an eye on your CYA to make sure you are maximizing your chlorine production. You also have a sand filter which will take longer to clear the water if you do get algae. I have a 12.5k gallon pool but I have a SWCG sized for three times that volume. This gives me a lot of flexibility in terms of Run time because I can dial my chlorine production down and run the pump a long time or I can run the pump for just a few hours and bump my SWCG to 70% and still maintain my minimum FC level. Keep am eye on chlorine as you dial back your pumps run time to make sure you dont fall below your minimum. Good luck!

I have a T-15 Aqua-Rite cell which is sized for a 40Kgal pool, and my pool is roughly 15Kgal. I think the best thing in my arsenal is my FAS-DPD chlorine test, much better than the cheapie OTO test.

You have a fairly small SWCG for the size of the pool. I think that will be the deternminig factor in how long you run your pump. If you get a lot of sun you are going to have to keep an eye on your CYA to make sure you are maximizing your chlorine production. You also have a sand filter which will take longer to clear the water if you do get algae. I have a 12.5k gallon pool but I have a SWCG sized for three times that volume. This gives me a lot of flexibility in terms of Run time because I can dial my chlorine production down and run the pump a long time or I can run the pump for just a few hours and bump my SWCG to 70% and still maintain my minimum FC level. Keep am eye on chlorine as you dial back your pumps run time to make sure you dont fall below your minimum. Good luck!

Abandoning the "turnover" methodology

You know what I got by following the method of letting your test results guide you - last year my pool runtime was 4-6hours per day. 6 hrs per day at the height of the summer heat (110F+ air temps, low 90's water temp). The "turnover method" would say that my pool should have been greener than Kermit The Frogs rear end. You know what happened - precisely zero days of cloudy water and not a single spec of algae anywhere in the pool. 100% pool uptime.

Turnover Method = Fake News

Follow your testing...everything else is bogus. As Obi-Wan said, "Luke, let go!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been running @5 hours for the last 9 days, no drama, clean pool. I adjusted it so that it is running for an hour after I get home from work, so that I can make any chemical adjustments I need and let the circulation system run for an hour. I have my SWCG holding a FC of 4.0ppm, I'm thinking of bringing it down to 4 hours, and dialing up the SWCG from 10% to 13% to make up for the reduced run-time to see how that works.

For me run time is all about skimming time. Timing your pump runs to when You want the pool to look it's best can be helpful as you dial down the hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.