Taking care of my pool

Thank you, I did it, it took all day...The good news it is done and the pool is on and running. I will need to invest in a good tool to remove and put back on that huge bolt. I had to have my brother come over to assist with removing the plug on the bottom to drain the pump, and remove the bolt, he assisted when I needed to put the bolt back on. I am a bit tired from it, but I am very proud of myself for doing most of the work on my own. I am glad it is over until the next time I have to do it. My pool is ready for the summer heat we will be having here in Vegas. Thank you for all the great links and advice everyone sent...

I will log the pressure today. My tester should be here today and the speed stirrer , can't wait to get my hands on it and start learning how to test the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very excited, the tester came in today, can't wait to go home and start learning how to test my own water. The pool is very new still, and my PH got up in the numbers a couple of weeks ago, would this cause a scale around the whole pool tile, its not to bad? I can see it and I have been brushing with the brush. I wanted to ask how can I remove the scale I see with my eyes only, everyone else says that they can't really see it. I can buy a tile cleaner at the pool store, or is there a secret someone can share with me.. Thank you in advance.

Testing hints:

PH-hold a white plate up behind the tube to help with the color match

FC-use one heaping spoon and test the bigger sample. This will help you save regents

TA-it will "flash" red, keep doing until it stays red-ish

CYA-(oh how I hate this test)-GLANCE in the tube only. I pour from line to line starting at the 100, GLANCE in and look away. If you see the dot at a GLANCE go the the next line. You can pour the water back into the mixing bottle and do it as many time as you want. Do NOT stare or you will see that dot gurrrrrrrrrr! LOL

line on tiles-It will be interesting to see what your test results show........ to remove it get a spray bottle and brush. Use muraitic acid 1 to 4 with water. PLEASE use care and wear eye protection. IF the 1/4 does not do it you can go 1 to 3.

Kim:kim:

Last edited:
I think Kim meant to say the TA test will start out green but with the addition of reagent drops it will ultimately turn from green-->pink-->HOT PINK!!

That hot pink is when I know I'm done. I always add another drop just to make sure it doesn't change any further and when it doesn't I don't add that last drop to my count.

Yip :flower:

I am glad to say I got to use the Tester this evening. I was very lucky to have ff702 come over to my house and help out with the test.

FC 2
CC .5
PH 8,2
TA 100
CYA 70
CH 800

With the numbers above, I will need to drain my pool 67% this weekend, and I will refill and start over. I have removed the pucks from the chlorinator, and I have added 18oz of MA. I will be adding 82oz of Chlorine. I will be taking a few pictures of the equipment during the day tomorrow, to get advice on how to drain the pool. I will need some advice from all the TFP experts. Those dumb chlorine tablets got me. :(

Thank you again ff702 for helping me understand all of this chemical stuff and thank you to all for the great advice on TFP. I never thought I would be able to handle this, it is sinking in a little every day.

I am glad to say I got to use the Tester this evening. I was very lucky to have ff702 come over to my house and help out with the test.

FC 2
CC .5
PH 8,2
TA 100
CYA 70
TA 100
CH 800

With the numbers above, I will need to drain my pool 67% this weekend, and I will refill and start over. I have removed the pucks from the chlorinator, and I have added 18oz of MA. I will be adding 82oz of Chlorine. I will be taking a few pictures of the equipment during the day tomorrow, to get advice on how to drain the pool. I will need some advice from all the TFP experts. Those dumb chlorine tablets got me. :(

Thank you again ff702 for helping me understand all of this chemical stuff and thank you to all the great advice on TFP. I never thought I would be able to handle this, it is sinking in a little every day.
Are you sure your CH is that high? I would retest my numbers one more time before draining the pool. Your CYA could be a bit on the high side but it's manageable. What type of pucks were you using? lt most certainly raised your CH and possibly CYA too. I actually used pucks when I refilled my pool and my CH and CYA were low. Once my CH and CYA levels got high enough, I immediately stopped using them. You are definitely at that level.

I am not totally against the pool store. My local pool store does a great job of testing. I have my own test kits but I like to verify my results from time to time with the store. I also do not test my water every day. I check PH and CL every 4/5 days. I check everything else every 2/3 weeks. If you don't put anything but bleach in your pool, you shouldn't see big changes in anything but PH/CL/TA. I would double check those CH results with your test kit again and triple check by having the pool store test as well. If it's that high (which is possible if you're using Cal-Hypo in your chlorinator) then drain half the pool. Then recheck your numbers. I wouldn't drain 67% which may be too much and your CYA may be too low.

Moving forward, looking at the CYA/CL chart at a 70 CYA you will need to maintain 8-10 FC. You're going to have to figure out how much liquid bleach you're going to have to add each week to maintain that level. My pool is pretty big, so I got tired making trips to Walmart which is why most people like myself end up getting a SWG. It will maintain your FC level for you. But it will also raise your PH. Basically all I have to do is monitor the PH and dump acid in when it goes up. Much easier than carrying bleach and cheaper in the long run. Your CYA is already at a good level for a SWG. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BTW - I do throw my local pool store a bone by purchasing all my acid from them. I also buy any brushes, equipment parts, etc. as well. Just never rely on their results as gospel and never, ever take their advice about adding anything to your pool. You really don't even want to get in a discussion with most of them. They are often misinformed and taught to sell product. I literally got in an argument with a teenage girl working there because she thought I was endangering my family by using bleach. LOL. It took me a few minutes to realize that I was arguing with someone who's mind was already made up. I just told her thank you for your concern.

Mac, we did double check that CH number. The pool store showed just 350 the day before. We then checked the tap water just to be sure we were getting good results. Tap tested at 350 which is what it is at my house also. Even with replacing 67% of the water the CH will be around 500 with that CH fill level. There will need to be a small addition of stabilizer to bring CYA to the 30-40 range.

In the meantime, the chlorine add will bring it to 10.

Anything else that you can see should be considered?

I have added 18oz of MA, The pool has been running for about 2 hours now. I'm going to add 82 oz of Chorine. I was wondering should I run the pool an additional 5 hours tonight or can I do this in the morning. I am not sure if I will wake up to turn the pool off?

Attachments

• IMG_4132.jpg
    IMG_4132.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 196
When you add m. acid and chlorine you only need about 15 mins in between then only really need to run the pump for another 30 mins or so to mix the last one in. No need to have a full turn over of the pool after adding chemicals.

Those tablets add CYA. Your fill water is what added the CH over time. No biggy now with your own test kit though!

mac I glad you found a store that does the tests halfway right. Most do not. I am finding that there are even some that can only test the FC to 5ppm. If it is over that they just say it is 5 "It can't be any higher than that because my test does not go higher" is what they told one person :shock: This is why it is so important to have your own test kit.

:hug: you are really getting this and making new friends! NICE!

I apologies for the huge pic, I uploaded it from my cell. I Just got up and jumped out of bed, added approximately 82oz of liquid chlorine, the pool is running. Kim you mean that when my auto filler added more water to the pool as needed, the water added CH, it was not the pucks? I am sorry if this is a silly question. :confused: When the PB finished the build, i noticed they added liquid chlorine and did not depend on the pucks to the new water.

Mac, I will read more on the SWG, my concern is that I have travertine coping and decking (a lot of it in my small yard). I was told that it will start eating away at the travertine, and I do not have it sealed. I may need to stick with the chlorine. I was going to the pool store every few days to get a reading on the water, on 3/11 my CH was 600 and they did not mention that it was an issue, on 3/23 ch 275 and on 3/26 my CH was 350. I don't think this Pool store knows what they are talking about, the turn over on people is a lot, and everyone is always training.

I will take some pics of my equipment and I will need advice on how to drain the pool this weekend. I think I can do it, I managed to clean the filters last weekend, lol. I would prefer not hire someone to do the drain, It looks pretty easy on You Tube. If you know what you are doing, I guess. I am a bit confused will I need to 82oz of chlorine daily until the drain?

Remember that you are adding the 82oz of 29% chlorine to raise your pool of 10,000 gallons from 2ppm to 10ppm. So basically every 1ppm loss will take about 10oz of 29% chlorine to maintain. So when you test, you'll only add enough to bring your ppm back to target. [emoji6]

Kim you mean that when my auto filler added more water to the pool as needed, the water added CH, it was not the pucks? I am sorry if this is a silly question. :confused:

NOT a silly question at all. This is all new to you and your are asking great questions to make sure you understand! I WAS you a few years ago! I understand!

That is exactly what I think. The tablets are "stabilized" and that means CYA (Cyanuric acid).

CH can only be reduced by replacing the water with lower CH water. That can be a real trick in areas that have naturally high CH in their water.

- - - Updated - - -

To drain your pool you MIGHT need to rent a pump from Home Depot or buy a cheap one ($60 or so) from Harbor Freight. Some people have luck with draining from their main drain. Not sure if your pool will allow that. I guess you can play with it and see what it does.

I WOULD keep your FC at the correct level for your CYA. You do NOT want algae to get a toe hold!

dcvegas,

I just drained my pool a couple of weeks ago because I had sky high CH (1000+) and through the roof CYA (200 PPM). I also did it to acid wash the pool cause it really needed it. Pool was built in 1968. I had been paying a pool guy monthly to service my pool, when one day, I decided to see if I could do it myself cheaper. Imagine the shock when I did my first tests and saw the outrageously high numbers for CH and CYA as well as my TA over 220. Then I remembered seeing a floater filled with chlorine pucks that he would always fill when he came. I was steamed!!!

To drain the pool I bought a small utility pump from amazon and connected my garden hose to it and pumped it out into the street at night (11pm - 4am) for a couple of nights. I made sure to bring the hose back inside my side gate when I was done as to not attract any unwanted attention. My pool water was actually clean, it just needed to be drained to get those levels down. After the acid wash (which went quite well) and refill, the pool chemistry fell back into place. I did have to adjust my TA though because my fill water had TA of 210, but I was able to get it down to around 90 which I'm happy with.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/h0dh4a9zv/][/URL]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/6ie9y5po1/][/URL]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/crxp2wzw3/][/URL]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/8rwubglb5/][/URL]

IMG_4136.jpg
896475ca1bf9e9f139c5c2ff2e2bbafa.jpg
9960fab92b3f1a610c146eb830fd3072.jpg
f54631dbcfb553db0af90c35d07c4003.jpg
a1aaefeb71cf862075731223001056db.jpg

I will be testing the water this evening. I am very nervous about doing this draining.

I don't think I can drain the water in the street, I know where the sewer line is in the front of my house. I think I can drain it in there?? My pool is a bit smaller then your pool, it is 10,000 gallons. I think I can start the process on Friday night and Saturday morning I can fill it. I won't be hiring a pool person to clean my pool for the reason why you had to drain your pool, I believe they all use pucks and they don't really check the water accurately. I will be looking in to buying/renting a pump just in case the pump will be easier to use.

I upload some pics of the equipment, if some can walk me through the process in draining, I would appreciate it. I have a nozzle in the back, can I put a water hose in it and drain from it?

I still need to read more on the CYA and CH - it is a bit confusing for me. I was not very good a chemistry when I was in school. My sink water was at a CH 350, how do I prevent the pool water CH from going up again, will I be able to control it more with only using only liquid chlorine and of course MA? I have a lot to learn.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.