Fiberglass pool split or crack during install

Jan 7, 2017
Olathe/KS
Help! I have a trilogy Picasso fiberglass pool being installed. When I can home last night I found a split or crack in the shell at the deep end that wasn't there before. They are currently in the process of back filling and adding water (about 3/4 full now). What should I do? Is this a major problem? Can it be repaired? Thanks in advance for any advice!! I don't see how to post a picture but it's about 8 inches horizontal beginning at the edge and the split is between the inner and outer layers next to an attached board the screwed into and a jack they are using for leveling.

IMG_0409.jpgIMG_0409.jpgIMG_0409.jpgIMG_0409.jpgIMG_0410.jpg
Help! I have a trilogy Picasso fiberglass pool being installed. When I can home last night I found a split or crack in the shell at the deep end that wasn't there before. They are currently in the process of back filling and adding water (about 3/4 full now). What should I do? Is this a major problem? Can it be repaired? Thanks in advance for any advice!! I don't see how to post a picture but it's about 8 inches horizontal beginning at the edge and the split is between the inner and outer layers next to an attached board the screwed into and a jack they are using for leveling.

This warrants a call to your pool installer asap. He is the one that will have to take care of it. I would call off any more work being done to the pool and area until this problem is worked out. Your pool should not have any cracks in it. Let us know what he says.

To share pics you can use photo bucket or such. Use the IMG code to place it right in your post.

I have a sad for you :(

Kim

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: In your first pics, I thought it was just excess overlap from the lip of the shell. But in the last pic it seems to be the actual shell body from behind separating. I don't know. If it were me I would be concerned as well and contact the manufacture right away - although they are probably closed on a Saturday. Your installer, if not concerned about it themselves, should at least be understanding about your concerns and "halt" temporarily to give you as the customer the time needed to contact the manufacture if they haven't already done so themselves. Maybe it's nothing, but it sure would be nice to get that confirmation from the manufacture.

Looks like a delamination due to an air bubble between layers. Doesn't look especially bad.

However, check with manufacturer to see what they say.

They might be able to fix it by injecting glue and clamping it back together.

They induced a point load on the shell causing a structural failure once the weigh of the water bearing on that point exceeded the capacity of the shell. The shell was bearing on the jack not on the fill below the shell.

That seems like an odd way to back fill the pool. My FB pool was not done like that. I am not saying it is incorrect, but I do not recall seeing other FB pools worked like that. I'd get something in writing from the builder & manufacturer about whatever fix or remedy they offer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It would be nice to see one of those pictures that isn't cropped at the top and to see wider shots and a shot from the other direction. I would also put at least a 4 foot level if not a 6 footer or better yet a laser level all around that pool to see if and how much it shifted. The foundation and the back-filling are two of the most important steps in the build process and if either one or both is not done correctly or not with the proper materials it is sure to shorten the life of the pool.

This is brand new.......if it was me, I would DEMAND a new replacement, to me, this does not look like a manufacturing defect. The stone should have levelled with a screed and ideally run a plate compacter over it. By screeding, I mean they can use a 2 x 4 on edge and slide it back and forth to level the stone sub base and they can put a level on the 2 x 4 to make sure they are in the ball park for level.
Did the pool builder put that wood and jack there, then begin filling the pool? If so, that is definitely was caused this delimitation split on both sides of the jack.
Also if that is the case, you will have a hard time for the manufacturer to stand behind it, if I was him, I surely would not warranty this installation method. I am sure there is a detail site preparation method that calls for a level surface that completely supports the shell.
This looks like PB inexperience if he put that jacking arrangement BEFORE backfilling.
There will always be a bit of settling when you will the pool with water weighing 8.3 lbs/gallon but if the installation is correct, the settling after fill will be minimal, most likely invisible and not cause any structural damage. That takes a lot of force to split FG like that.
Do your best to tell the PB you want this shell replaced.
At a bare minimum, if the PB is NOT going to replace the shell, then YOU contact the manufacturer yourself, tell them what happened and send the pictures, get the manufacturer recommendation what to do.
I have a 45 year career in Oil and Gas, and when we have an equipment or installation issue, the manufacturer recommendation is the RULE, it overrides what is in the Contract and Specification because ultimately it is the manufacturer that is going to support the warranty, so we follow his recommendation.
Ask the PB what he is going to do?
If it doesn't meet your satisfaction, let him know you are going to contact the manufacturer.
Kimkats......is one of the best Experts here........he offers you sound advice......FULL STOP.......on any further work until this is resolved.
See where that leads you first and post it......let us know how this is going.
It probably can be repaired by a qualified FB guy, then you demand an extended warranty from the PB but the problem with that is these guys go in and out of business like you change your socks. How long has this PB been in business?
Check the BBB Better Business Bureau and see if he has a history. You can do that right here online, it is free and easy. If you need help with that, let me know.

Some more pictures would be good.

Your installer was using the jack with water in the pool?

I strongly doubt that is the manufacturers installation method.

Did they level the pool with a laser level while still attached to the crane?

I think this is all on your installer. Hopefully he has insurance.

I agree with Captain. I would insist on a new shell.

This is brand new.......if it was me, I would DEMAND a new replacement, to me, this does not look like a manufacturing defect. The stone should have levelled with a screed and ideally run a plate compacter over it. By screeding, I mean they can use a 2 x 4 on edge and slide it back and forth to level the stone sub base and they can put a level on the 2 x 4 to make sure they are in the ball park for level.
Did the pool builder put that wood and jack there, then begin filling the pool? If so, that is definitely was caused this delimitation split on both sides of the jack.
Also if that is the case, you will have a hard time for the manufacturer to stand behind it, if I was him, I surely would not warranty this installation method. I am sure there is a detail site preparation method that calls for a level surface that completely supports the shell.
This looks like PB inexperience if he put that jacking arrangement BEFORE backfilling.
There will always be a bit of settling when you will the pool with water weighing 8.3 lbs/gallon but if the installation is correct, the settling after fill will be minimal, most likely invisible and not cause any structural damage. That takes a lot of force to split FG like that.
Do your best to tell the PB you want this shell replaced.
At a bare minimum, if the PB is NOT going to replace the shell, then YOU contact the manufacturer yourself, tell them what happened and send the pictures, get the manufacturer recommendation what to do.
I have a 45 year career in Oil and Gas, and when we have an equipment or installation issue, the manufacturer recommendation is the RULE, it overrides what is in the Contract and Specification because ultimately it is the manufacturer that is going to support the warranty, so we follow his recommendation.
Ask the PB what he is going to do?
If it doesn't meet your satisfaction, let him know you are going to contact the manufacturer.
Kimkats......is one of the best Experts here........he offers you sound advice......FULL STOP.......on any further work until this is resolved.
See where that leads you first and post it......let us know how this is going.
It probably can be repaired by a qualified FB guy, then you demand an extended warranty from the PB but the problem with that is these guys go in and out of business like you change your socks. How long has this PB been in business?
Check the BBB Better Business Bureau and see if he has a history. You can do that right here online, it is free and easy. If you need help with that, let me know.

Captain 776 says--"There will always be a bit of settling when you fill (sic) the pool with water weighing 8.3 lbs/gallon but if the installation is correct, the settling after fill will be minimal, most likely invisible and not cause any structural damage. That takes a lot of force to split FG like that."

I totally agree and would add that if there is any settling (there should be basically ZERO) it should also be uniform and over time-not catastrophic and immediate-while filling the pool. There should be almost ZERO settling in any type of pool if the foundation was done correctly or any type of structure for that matter. If the foundation was done correctly then they were too hurried and violent with either the water filling or back-filling. They should be done simultaneously in a very slow and controlled manner. There is a lot of pressure pushing outward from the water and a lot of pressure pushing inward from the back-fill material and they need to off-set each other.

Its not that there was too much settling or uneven settling or whatever. Its that the contractor is using a procedure to install the pool that is just flat wrong. You don't put a jack under a fiberglass pool with water in it. The question then becomes not whether it will rupture but when will it rupture.

Frankly the problem here is we have a contractor who lacks not only the ability to read the installation instructions but lacks the ability to watch a few you tube videos.

That's some serious mickey mouse work. Seriously? A 2 ton floor jack to level a pool that's 3/4 full and most likely weighing in at 70,000+ lbs? Even if he was somehow able to lift the shell and not warp or crack it, it's not like the back-fill is going to fall under that corner and support the pool once the jack is removed. Stuff like this boggles my mind. I wouldn't try jacking the edge of my bathtub when 3/4 full of water and expect it not to crack let alone a pool.

I'd put a hard stop on it and demand a do-over for these 3 reasons alone:

1) Fiberglass itself is not very strong. What creates strength is the design/shape and once that form is compromised like yours is I wouldn't want it in my backyard.
2) Unnatural stresses have been put on that area of the shell which could bite you later on in the form of stress cracks.
3) Lastly, that's the problem you can see. I'd be more afraid of what you can't see. Any knucklehead that would make that decision is bound to have made other major mistakes during your install and site prep.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.