Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: first steps after filling

1. Back To Top    #1

first steps after filling

Just filled my Intex 16' AGP yesterday. I've been reading about the BBB method, and do plan to try it this summer. I still have one puck of stabilized chlorine that I will put in the floater tomorrow.
    I don't see an easy to find guide for "First steps after filling". Here's what I think I should be doing: Put in stabilizer today. Shock treat tomorrow (I still have a couple pounds of HTH Shock n Swim). Put in the 'puck floater' after shock treating tomorrow.
    Once the puck is gone, I'll throw away the floater and begin using Walmart liquid bleach. Headed out to Walmart now to buy bleach and stabilizer.
    How does my plan sound? Should I stablize and shock right away today? Once the puck is gone and I'm using liquid bleach...am I still supposed to shock treat once a week?

I'd like to suggest an easy to find guide for first steps.

Edit: After more reading in the Pool School, I see that I may not have to do any shock treatments...Just dump in the recommended amount of bleach
    Intex Easyset 16' x 42" 3700 gallon above ground pool
    Basic Intex pleated cartridge filter and pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: first steps after filling

Quote Originally Posted by tahoejeff

Edit: After more reading in the Pool School, I see that I may not have to do any shock treatments...Just dump in the recommended amount of bleach
    I hope you also read that you should check for proper water balance with a good test kit before adding any more chemicals to your pool.
    22,000 gallon ig vinyl solar heated (panels and cover) zeolite filtrate

3. Back To Top    #3

You need all of your numbers to be in range before you can just use bleach...specifically your PH, TA and CYA all have to be at the recommended level, then you can use bleach... if your FC doesn't hold overnight, then you will need to shock.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you frustrated. Just what I was looking for.
    Maybe I'll write something up on the proper steps to follow after first filling a pool. Is there a way I could submit something like this for inclusion on this site?
    I realize most people with permanent pool installations won't need this information, but I also know many people have these 'easyset' pools.
    Intex Easyset 16' x 42" 3700 gallon above ground pool
    Basic Intex pleated cartridge filter and pump

5. Back To Top    #5

By all means write something up and post it as a new topic. If people like it they will start referring others to it and we will consider it for either a mention in the further reading section of Pool School or possibly a full fledged article.

One of the challenges of writing such an article is that the initial values from the tap water vary quite a bit from place to place and so the exact steps you want to take vary also. That is why we ask people to post their numbers before we give advice about what to add and in what order.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School