Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weird question - but where do you point the return???

1. Back To Top    #1

Weird question - but where do you point the return???

I've been wondering this - one of my friends says she points it to the bottom to stir up the bottom for better filtering. My brother (who owned this pool before me) points it up and into "the curve" of the oval.

What is the best direction (horizontal and vertical) to point your return?

Thanks!
    21x41x54" AG Artesian Seville II
    Installed around 2004 - we moved here in 2008
    23,000 gal
    Hayward SwimPro 256T Sand Filter
    1HP 2speed Hayward Power Flo Matrix
    (and have 2HP Hayward Swimpro and a 2hp 2speed Waterway Hi-Flo pump as back up also!! lol)
    No heating - other than Solar SunRings
    Central IL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Weird question - but where do you point the return???

With a 21x41 I hope you have multiple returns. Usually you want to point them horizontally all in the same direction (left or right) to encourage circulation. Your pool is only 4' deep so pointing at the bottom shouldn't be necessary. If you had a deep end then that might be a consideration.

21x41x4 gives me not quite 26,000 gal, so 30,000 seems like an overestimate unless you do have a deep end.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    With a 21x41 I hope you have multiple returns. Usually you want to point them horizontally all in the same direction (left or right) to encourage circulation. Your pool is only 4' deep so pointing at the bottom shouldn't be necessary. If you had a deep end then that might be a consideration.

21x41x4 gives me not quite 26,000 gal, so 30,000 seems like an overestimate unless you do have a deep end.
    --paulr
    We do not have multiple returns - if you do multiple returns, I'm assuming you have to have another pump? This is our first year of pool ownership, and perhaps we should have done that when we just replaced the liner, but we didn't!!!
    21x41x54" AG Artesian Seville II
    Installed around 2004 - we moved here in 2008
    23,000 gal
    Hayward SwimPro 256T Sand Filter
    1HP 2speed Hayward Power Flo Matrix
    (and have 2HP Hayward Swimpro and a 2hp 2speed Waterway Hi-Flo pump as back up also!! lol)
    No heating - other than Solar SunRings
    Central IL

4. Back To Top    #4

No, usually you just have the one pump; I have two returns in my pool. Plus the Polaris line, but that's on a separate pump because it needs much higher pressure to run the cleaner.

With one return definitely horizontal to encourage circulation.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page