Official 2017 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

A wireless temp monitor would be a nice start. Maverick makes a good one. Like this,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DIU4...nt=&hvlocphy=9026792&hvtargid=pla-89190793020

If you want to kick it up a notch and actually control the smoker temp for a "few" more bucks you can get something from these guys. I have their top of the line cyberQwifi and it is great. But, it is not 100 bucks. BBQ Guru Temperature Control Systems DigiQ PartyQ CyberQ

Perfect suggestion - thanks heaps, pooldv :) He has two smokers and a Webber, but only one remote sensor, and it was a radio frequency type. I got him a bluetooth one, and he was stoked! He had kinda wanted that in the first place, but now can mix and match sensors for whatever he needs, and use the app with it's various recommendation as well. This is what I picked up: Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth Thermometer

Thanks again mate :)

It was bacon flavor all the way tonight ....

Mini sweet bell pepper poppers stuffed with cheese and bacon seasoning -

2df93bb9b03c01c8ccaf5b3d39f0bce6.jpg

Salmon with hot pepper bacon jam -

9c6ea20782581569cfb0b5afcc04477d.heic

And the plate -

678570c7e1b682e114977303297d1a7b.heic

All courtesy of ingredients from the bacon man-crate -

e7542b79936e328e72ad582b8cfdf12e.heic

Pork Chili Verde

So I roasted up some Hatch Valley green chili’s with some sweet peppers & tomatillo’s as well as some pork shoulder chunks -

795aca3d385715d67520675a854152b2.jpg

I then brought it all in the house and cleaned out the peppers, cut up some onion and garlic with chopped cilantro and chicken broth. Put it all in a slow cooker and let it reduce for a few hours. After that I pulled out the pork pieces and used my stick blender to make the verde sauce. Added some sweet potato chunks and hominy and viola -

4ab8784489ceaac69badb5441dd0adf0.jpg

Served it up with some brown rice, black beans, queso fresco and fresh lime juice -

991ac9cfa35ab3a2364262eab53ca385.jpg

I love pork chili verde as it’s one of those “sticks to your ribs” kind of meal .... mmmmmmm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Grilled Chicken on mixed greens

I did some Italian marinated grilled chicken breasts (split in half) on a bed of arugula & baby spinach with roasted tomato and shredded Parmesan & Romano cheese on top. The chicken is grilled with a light basting of olive oil, balsamic reduction and dry Italian spice mix. A little extra balsamic reduction is drizzled on top.

d40581e18d6456508655d07825198e44.jpg

The Lagunitas “Sucks” beer is an interesting one but I prefer their “Aunt Sally” beer better.

Grilled Chicken on mixed greens

I did some Italian marinated grilled chicken breasts (split in half) on a bed of arugula & baby spinach with roasted tomato and shredded Parmesan & Romano cheese on top. The chicken is grilled with a light basting of olive oil, balsamic reduction and dry Italian spice mix. A little extra balsamic reduction is drizzled on top.

d40581e18d6456508655d07825198e44.jpg

The Lagunitas “Sucks” beer is an interesting one but I prefer their “Aunt Sally” beer better.

That looks delicious, I want to try this recipe. Sorry for my rookie question but can you expand on what the balsamic reduction is? Is this something you buy, or reduce on the stove, and if it is done on the stove can you explain how?
Sorry I've been off for a while, I had a automobile take a left turn right in front of me last Saturday while on my motorcycle...he made an illegal turn right in front of me totally unexpected with no turn signal, and I hit him about 40 mph. Banged up pretty good but lucky to be alive. Anyway that's another story...... looking forward to that recipe.

It can be made on the stove top but is far easier to purchase -

7f82454191f6a53e944fd67c08f82bbb.jpg

I got that at local supermarket. Good to have on hand for finishing purposes.

BTW, sorry to hear about the crash and I’m glad you’re safe! We get crazy/ridiculous drivers here in southern AZ all the time ... I’m just used to the morons on the road. I always give bikers lots of room to get by or stay off their tails (and usually get a courtesy wave for respecting their boundaries). Too many people don’t know enough or care enough to give folks on motorcycles a wider berth and its rude.

Anyway, hope you have a quick recovery and no lasting damage. Was the bike trashed?

I don't like motorcycles [emoji965] I don't like people who like motorcycles [emoji965] we don't like people that like motorcycles [emoji965][emoji2]

Lykly so glad to hear that you are doing well. Really motorcycles really scare me [emoji15] I road them as a teenager and have no desire to ride since then. Be safe and speedy recovery.

BTW, sorry to hear about the crash and I’m glad you’re safe! We get crazy/ridiculous drivers here in southern AZ all the time ... I’m just used to the morons on the road. I always give bikers lots of room to get by or stay off their tails (and usually get a courtesy wave for respecting their boundaries). Too many people don’t know enough or care enough to give folks on motorcycles a wider berth and its rude.

Anyway, hope you have a quick recovery and no lasting damage. Was the bike trashed?

Thank you JoyfulNoise. Not sure on the bike yet, the adjuster has not contacted me. I hit it dead on probably around 40 miles an hour so I know the front end at least is trashed. Surprisingly the bike tins are not bad since it landed on me and the engine guard kept the front up and unfortunately my right leg held up the bike by the hot exhaust so the fenders or any of the paint never did touch the concrete apparently. Fellow passerby's got the bike off me within seconds thank God. I have two severe burns on my right leg between my knee and my foot and my kneecap is busted, and one torn ligament, none of which hopefully will require surgery. Lots of road rash and black and blue marks, but most of the damage was from the bike landing on me unfortunately. My helmet has about a 9 inch long crack/scratch so I'm thankful I had it on. Both for hitting the car and for keeping the bike off my head. I have ~40 years of accident free bike riding, but this proved to me some things are out of my control, so I have some really hard thinking to do rather not I will ride again. Too many people paying too much attention to other things other than the road. I think two drivers like you and others like you who actually. Tension, unfortunately a lot of lights are lost because of the opposite. Good news is, I think in time everything will be back to normal body wise, although my wife never would've said I was very normal to begin with. She always said the only thing normal in our house was a setting on the dryer! LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.