Leaking Cartridge Filter + 1 x Pool Jet not working

Jan 10, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Hi all

2 questions.

1) Have a Waterco CC75 cartridge filter, that leaks out the top from time to time.

Looks like this - http://www.ozpoolsupplies.com.au/images/watermarked/1/detailed/0/Trimline_Cartrid_4dd1cef78e65f1359952090510f38da38b08.jpg

The O-ring was replaced recently, so is in good condition, and only use silicone.

How tight do you normally need to screw on the top?

How much/little silicon should I be using?

Occasionally I get it right and it doesn't leak, but other times no matter how tight/loose the top is, or how much/little silicon I use, it'll leak a little bit (which over 8 hours/day leads to a fair amount of water loss).

Any tips for a tight seal 100% of the time?

2) I have 3 return jets in my pool, and I've only just noticed that one of them (one situated toward the bottom of the pool in the deep end) doesn't work.

Any ideas why 1 out of 3 wouldn't work?

It seems to be having an impact on circulation, as I'm battling an algae problem that seems worst down the deep end (NB: I'm about to order a test kit so I can SLAM the pool correctly, I have spent $$'s on algaecides before I found this site!!!)

Any ideas on how I might fix this, or will I need to get a professional in (hoping not cos I fear it will cost $$$$'s)

Thanks all

If you post 3 pics of your equipment pad, we might see something that could help with the extra return.

It might be worth trying a new o-ring in the filter, as well as what you're already doing, which are good steps.

Pics attached

6de82143488d7bd6f3198cd190ada82a.jpg

20170121_090425.jpg

The return that isn't working is at the far end of the pool in the pic, toward the bottom of the pool. There's another return to the left of the skimmer, above the step at the deep (far) end, and another to the right shooting into the shallow end.

I get leaf litter settling at the deep end where the return isn't working.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Another pic with the skimmer plate taken out of the way would help, and also one looking into the pipes from the right hand side. In the meantime, here's a couple possibilities.

With the non-working return lower in the pool than the other returns, it may have been intended for future heating that never got added. There's a pipe coming up under the power point, do you have any idea what that one is for? With its proximity to the main suction, it makes me think it might be from a past (now failed) main drain, but purely a guess. Is there a grate at the deepest point in the pool?

It looks like there's a line going down under the skimmer plate that's hanging there. That line is shut off by the 3-way valve. Have you tried opening that so water is sent to both return pipes that go down into the ground? If not, you could try cracking it a little and see if water flows down that line. I would start with just rotating the handle about 20 degrees counter-clockwise. It could be that the pipe to the deeper return failed at some point in the past and they just left it off, or maybe it's totally fine.

There's a stub in the upper left of the equipment pad picture. Any idea what that one is for? There's a couple of other stubs, but would need the pic that 'sees' under the SWC.

Is there a waterline coming up in the decorative rock that could have or does make it a waterfall feature?

More pics.

The valve post the SWG diverts water to a pipe in the rock for a waterfall effect.

The return that isn't working is the deeper one in the pic.

No idea what those spare pipes do, I believe they may be for future solar heating, combined with the 2 kind of circle grates down the shallow end in the pic?

My cartridge filter is still prone to leaking, it'll be fine once on, but switch it off then back on again and it'll be ******* out water everywhere. So frustrating!!!

20170126_081337.jpg
49bdf236ead4843ad7f7a8e6e602a06c.jpg

458fbd71dc2eb23da5a7e947032aafa4.jpg

f481723b31f3136e2279f99bd56faf3a.jpg

58dbbe9c2d1cdd6f229de34044093fb7.jpg

475cf08988933a9572e705e17275e732.jpg

In two pools I'm familiar with, the separate heating circuit was plumbed with dual suctions about 250 down from the water surface (10"). The heating returns are near the bottom, so if the water was still, the heat system is pulling warm water and sending it back deep to stir things up. There's a good chance that's your situation, and only way to find out would be to put your garden hose down those stubs, let it run slowly to avoid a mess, and see if any water comes out those fittings. You will probably see a bit of dirt/dust if they haven't been used for a long time. That would identify the stubs which could then be capped without glue just to keep dirt and bugs out.

Bleeding the air out of the filter after cleaning might help, but otherwise I can't think of anything other than what you've tried.
Here's the manual for the filter in case it's helpful: http://www.waterco.com.au/waterco/manuals/pool-spa/filters/trimline-cartridge-filters-manual-_w99244.pdf

And Happy Australia Day! :cheers:

The o-ring is what seals it. I'd probably try and find an o-ring that fits but that's thicker. A bit of lube on the threads is helpful for tightening it. That o-ring should work, frustrating!

I've popped some plumbers tape on the o-ring and seal, seems to be holding water nicely

Will keep an eye on it over the next couple of days

Otherwise will try and find a thicker o-ring, as it's frustrating as all **** having to check that the filter isn't leaking every time the pump cycles on!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.