Testing fill water

Jun 22, 2016
FL
I received my TF-100 test kit today! I want to test my fill water and honestly haven't done much homework on water chemistry just yet. The test instructions seem easy to follow, but do any of the tests not apply for testing my fill water source (from our outdoor faucet bib)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most useful to know for most of us is the calcium hardness, CH, and total alkalinity, TA. Both of which should be in most fill water sources and will cause your pool CH and TA to rise in the absence of significant rain. I wouldn't bother testing fill water for CYA, there shouldn't be any and a 0ppm reading doesn't help you gain any practice with this test. You can get a bit of practice with the chlorine titration but use the 10ml sample size so you don't waste the reagents. FC in town water should be quite low, maybe 1-2ppm. Running the pH for practice couldn't hurt and may enable you to see a difference in colour change. Both FC and pH in fill water wont affect your pool chemistry in any significant way.

Without knowing what your utilities reported values are, those results look much like you might expect. Over time your TA and CH will slowly go up when replacing evaporated water but I guess you get your fare share of rain in FL.

Those results are from a small sample at a point in time, it would be interesting to compare with your first test results after your pools filled - results from a large sample.

And heres another recent thread. Test Your Water Source

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.