Rebuilding the frame on an old Hut Tub

kris77

May 27, 2014
Clarksburg, WV
My wife and I just picked up an old hot tub from a friend of ours. Everything works fine, no leaks, just the frame is falling apart. I'm planning on rebuilding the entire frame of this thing, cleaning it up real nice, and trying it for a few months or a year or so to see if will actually use it. If we do, we will plan on upgrading to a nicer one later. Just hate to drop $5K on a new one when this was a freebie with a brand new cover.

Couple questions...

1. What is the best way to remove the old frame? I've heard I should turn the tub upside down and remove everything. Of course thats easier said than done. Its pretty heavy. Should I just leave it upright and start removing everything?
2. I know how to clean everything with the spa cleaner. Ahh-some i think was the name some ppl on this forum recommended. But should i go ahead and take all the hoses off and get everything out of the way before i start building it back? Maybe try to clean them out first with the water hose? Or should i just leave everything hooked up that i possibly can?
3. What should i use for the base. Right now its just non treated plywood that is rotten. 5/8" or 3/4" treated plywood was my first thought. Its going to be sitting on a concrete patio so it will more than likely be moist 99% of the time.
4. Am I crazy for putting money into a super old tub? lol

Thanks for the help.

Mine is just untreated 1x2's held together with "mending strips" and covered with plywood siding. Much of the weight is plywood, but it also provides most of the angle bracing.

If you can't flip it, I'd clamp on some temporary support so you can pull off and rebuild one rib at a time. I'd avoid putting any torque on the old fiberglass.

I'd build a base like this out of pressure-treated lumber to get the thing up off the wet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJujE6VvyLQ

If you're going to beef up the plywood, move the tub first, that cumulative weight really adds up. I know this because my f-i-l once resheeted his garage door and couldn't open it, still makes me laugh.

I did this with my hot tub. Ended up using it until the heater failed, 5 years later. I did it the hard way. Later on I found some videos that show how hot tubs are manufactured. I suggest you start with the videos, first. It will make the process much eaiser.

So i started this project today. I built the frame in the garage floor. Built 3 sides. Then moved it to my pad location. I have the old tub tore apart. I plan on moving the fiberglass tub with all hoses attached and sliding it into the new frame soon. In my head it seems easy.....we'll see when it actually comes time to move it. Also, this piece broke today....I'm not sure what it is. I think its air mamifold, but i'm not sure exactly how to replace it. It has a control knob on the top.

I found this.....Air Manifold 1 barbs | SpaDepot.com But it doesnt have the knob. There are so many, i'm not sure which one to get. Does it matter? As long as it fits it should work right?

20170122_131553.jpg

This has an animated diagram and explanation of what your ozonator does and where it goes. They are good to have, but I can't tell you how much time/effort would be worth putting in.

Some good information about blowers too, though the diagram is a little different from yours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agreed, an ozonator is not needed. It is helpful in a hot tub as a sanitizer while the tub is running and people are in it. But, it doesn't leave any residual sanitizer in the water so chlorine is still required. I have maintained my tub using this process for quite a few years now and it works great. How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Can anybody tell me how to remove this jet? I figured out how to remove the bigger ones. All of them need replaced, but i'm having trouble getting these out. I dont want to break them just i case i cant find them anymore.

20170125_173049-1_zpsagdde0tu.jpeg

IF you think that bar across the middle will take the torque, you could make a sputnik by notching a piece of pvc to give your strap wrench more to hold on to, or drill holes to put a long screwdriver through. The little square holes around the outside look pretty flimsy.

It turns freely inside the housing. There are no threads or anything. I think it snaps in somehow, but i cant figure out how. I can turn the outside around and around and around. It's like it is made to be adjustable somehow, but when i turn it, nothing changes on the inside that I can tell.

Looks like I might have found a replacement. Maybe just the face plate snaps on, then the internal jet screws out??

46936481.jpg

Once i found that pic, I was able to get the jet out. I am missing the little traingle looking piece on the inside of all of them. It looks like they have all been out before. Silicone all over the threads. Here are a few pics in case others have the same issue. The front cover did just snap off with a small screwdriver, then the wall housing twisted out with a pair of rubber coated channel locks. Anybody have any idea where I can get a gasket set for this? This 1" gasket is discontinued on all the websites i've checked. Can i just use any thin rubber gasket to make a seal? Or just use 100% silicone?

20170126_085551_zpsis6fhzfe.jpeg

20170126_085616_zpskd6dui8x.jpeg

And a pic of the Luxury Jets I have in this tub that I'm going to replace as well. I still need to take the wall fitting off and probably replace it as well.

20170126_085637_zpszb9ncehf.jpeg

And one last pic of the frame I'm building for the tub. The old frame literally disintegrated in my hands on 3 of the 4 sides. I plan to insulate it, and cover it with stacked stone and stain the top to match the cedar on the house.

20170122_142406_zpskdgenors.jpeg

Those are rotatory jets. They spin and make like a massaging effect. Mine didn't have the outer cage to hold them in place, they were held by a lip on the housing. I like your design better. Now if we can just find the spinner parts...

I like your frame much better. Mine was literally built under the tub as I went and it didn't look anywhere near as good as yours. :)

I've been looking everywhere for all the parts I need. I need 9 of the big jets, 4 of the little jets, 2 little circulation jets, rings, a new drain....pretty much everything internal to the tub. Hoses, pump, heater, control box, and housings are all still good. I just need anything the water touched on the inside. First website I went to, everything was going to run over $230. Then i found one for $200 for everything. Today I found these two sites.

Balboa Water Group/Pentair | Flange Nozzle Assy, Euro Swirl Jet, White | 46936400

and

American Products Euro Series Jet

The first site has the cheapest prices, but the 2nd site has excellent diagrams for everything. Maybe they will help you find parts. Those little jets i took out above are only $5 each.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.