Spray Deck vs. Stamped Concrete

Dec 30, 2016
Cypress, tx
Just working final details before we sign with a PB. Debating between Spray Deck, which I like the look of, and a stamped concrete. I'm being told the Spray Deck will only last a few years and is subject to chipping. We live in the Houston area and don't have kids so we shouldn't have to much abuse of the surface. Looks for experience with Spray Deck durability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My community pool uses a spray deck. They just re-finished it last spring and it was already chipping in the summer. Granted it takes a ton of abuse and the pool is packed all summer long, but I was not impressed. I would go for stamped.

We decided to go with the cool deck (I guess it is the same you are referring to)....We LOVE the look of stamped concrete but we were afraid how slick the surface woudl be once it is sealed and it gets wet. We have friends that have pools with stamped concrete - and there kids have slipped and completely lost their footing because of the sealer.

Kool Deck is a trade name for a deck surface that is somewhat porous, no very durable and but stays cooler than most other deck surfaces. Acrylic deck coating looks a lot like Kool Deck, but it's non porous, much more durable. The process begins with a texture coat that can be sprayed on or troweled the simulate almost any surface, from flagstone to brick to whatever you desire. The texture is then followed with an acrylic colored top coat.

I have had an acrylic coated deck for 12 years. After 5 years or so it was looking a bit tired and there were a few chips here and there. A five gallon pail of top coat (about $100) and one afternoon with a paint roller made it like new. It is important if you have acrylic to keep some top coat around and touch up any chips as soon as they appear. Water can get under the surface and cause it to peel if they are left untreated. With a bit of TLC an acrylic deck is very durable and can be kept looking just like new indefinitely.

Kool Deck is a trade name for a deck surface that is somewhat porous, no very durable and but stays cooler than most other deck surfaces. Acrylic deck coating looks a lot like Kool Deck, but it's non porous, much more durable. The process begins with a texture coat that can be sprayed on or troweled the simulate almost any surface, from flagstone to brick to whatever you desire. The texture is then followed with an acrylic colored top coat.

I have had an acrylic coated deck for 12 years. After 5 years or so it was looking a bit tired and there were a few chips here and there. A five gallon pail of top coat (about $100) and one afternoon with a paint roller made it like new. It is important if you have acrylic to keep some top coat around and touch up any chips as soon as they appear. Water can get under the surface and cause it to peel if they are left untreated. With a bit of TLC an acrylic deck is very durable and can be kept looking just like new indefinitely.

Thank you kindly for your feedback......

We decided to go with the cool deck (I guess it is the same you are referring to)....We LOVE the look of stamped concrete but we were afraid how slick the surface woudl be once it is sealed and it gets wet. We have friends that have pools with stamped concrete - and there kids have slipped and completely lost their footing because of the sealer.

Thank you for the comment......

That certainly is one of my concerns, slippery when wet.....

I looked at 2 co-workers pools and decks that are > 10 years old that are Sundek or Koolcote. One looked great, the other needs work. The one that looked great was even a salt water pool. I could not attribute foot traffic/use differences between the two. I think it came down to the quality of the install, but that's a total guess.

My sister just had her Kool Deck refinished after 10 years. They have been satisfied but not thrilled with it. My BIL did say they went too light on the new color (seemed pretty white). When he comes in the screen [emoji537] from the lawn after watering his [emoji534] [emoji271] he leaves dirty [emoji188] on it which is annoying. The lighter the color the more you [emoji102] them he said.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.