Green peanut butter around my filters...ewwwwwww!

Aug 18, 2012
IMG_0220.jpg

Have never had a problem like this before since we got the hot tub. We moved to a different town and now I have this goo all around my filters. Can you tell me what it is, what I can do? Shocking doesn't help.
It is like peanut butter, sticky, sticky, sticky.

It's in a Viking 100 hot tub.

~Sean~

How are you caring for your tub? What sanitation method are you using? How do you test your water? Please update your signature with details about your hot tub so that folks can have enough info to help you.

I have seen it before but I have no idea what it is.. I can say that I have not had it come back since I changed over to a SWG.. When my tub FC level dropped to 0 that green turned to a yellow and filled the whole filter, it was nasty and that is what started me down the path to TFP :)

Hot Tubs are great but they like a constant level of FC and for some reason the filter is the first place you see the problem, maybe because the filter is the coolest place right before it hits the heater but that is just speculation on my part..

With a SWG I can keep my FC at 1 to 2 ppm with the help of the Ozone generator... I was able to stop almost all the that goop by keeping my FC above 4PPM at all times, I targeted 6PPM after I soaked for the night.. I use mine every single night so it was not hard...

There can be problems with that if you have sensitive skin...

I will say that the rubber "boot" on cartridge style filters (I have something similar to that in my QuadDE filter) is subject to chlorine oxidation and will almost always become porous and a little tacky as the rubber breaks down over time. A spot like that is perfect to act as a home for biofilms, essentially bacteria reservoirs. Once the chlorine drops a little bit, the bacterial growth will explode, especially at hot tub temperatures. Then you'll get these gooey, goopey masses develop.

I'm curious, have you ever performed a spa plumbing purge using Ahh-Some (http://www.ahhsome.com)? If you have not, then I would recommend you try it. Given that you recently moved, that means your hot tub sat drained for some period of time. Even as little time as a few days is enough for the plumbing to become over run with bacterial films. Sometimes it shows up as high chlorine demand, but not always. A plumbing purge will completely rid the tub of any films, greases or biological contamination.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.