pH 7.6
CH 425 (fill water CH=100)
TA 90
CYA 80
Salt 3400
Temp 48F
Borates 0 (confirmed using test strips)]
CSI -0.37

First of all, thanks to all members of this forum. Great information and I especially would like to thank those members that jump in on a daily basis and offer their solutions and opinions.
Exactly year ago, I moved into a house built in 2004...the pool is the same age. I've used the TFP method since May 2016 and derive great pleasure in knowing we're swimming in balanced water. But my pH swings because of aeration by the spa waterfall and the SWG. Since we live by an airport, the waterfall action mutes aircraft noise....nice.

Before I used the TFP method, I bought 60 lbs of Optimizer Plus and six gallons of MA (already used) recommended by a pool store. I want to add the borates now that I've seen the pH trends over the past year. I'm now using 12.5% chlorine since it's too cold for the SWG and run the pump maybe 8 hours a week.

My CH has risen over time and sewer rates here are based on water consumption from December to March. After March, I'll drain-refill according to Pool Math to reduce CH. Before adding borates, I'll lower my TA using TFP methods described elsewhere. Do you see anything else in my numbers that set off alarms?

My question is: Are there any benefits/downfalls to adding borates now when the water temperature is 48F or will I have better action at elevated temperatures? Or does it matter at all?

Attachments

• MyPool.jpg
    MyPool.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 114
Nice pool! I would lower your TA to 50 first and then add the borates. Your CH is fine, no need to work that. It will fluctuate up and down with how much it rains. Our fill water varies quite a bit depending on rainfall. The more it rains the lower the CH and the less it rains the CH in the lakes goes up as the water sits in the lake. CH in my pool has fluctuated between 160 and 450 over the years. It has never gone above 450.

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Thanks pooldv. Before the heavy rain last night, I lowered the pH to 7. This morning the TA dropped from 90 to 80 overnight. Today, I placed a sump pump in the pool and attached an ocillating sprinkler to it for aeration. Do you think this will helps lower pH or am I spinning my wheels? Also, does it matter if I add the borates now or wait until the water is warmer?
IMG_0219.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.