Test kit in ... let the SLAMing begin!

Measure FC and CC tonight after sunset. DO again in the morning and if 0-1 max drop in FC and CC less than 0.5 I am clear?

Is that it?

Yes that is it, if you can see no sign of algae, and during the hours of darkness you lose no more than 1 FC and you have 0.5CC or less you are all good to go

If that does happen what next? Do we need to determine the best levels for my pool etc? I might go to the hardware now and top up on some things - I will get more hardener and stabiliser. I have enough chlorine and acid for now and 1 bag of salt remaining...is there anything else to keep handy you think?

Your shopping list sounds fine. See my post above on CSI. It is something to keep an eye on and manage to between -0.6 to 0.6, just to protect your grout

If your stains on your grout do not lift or bother you we can deal with those later

Oh and am I better to close the cover now...the reason I ask is that the chlorine will cover the cover too more efficiently than being rolled up in the pit of the pool so any potential algae on the cover also gets SLAMed...or am I over thinking it?

It would be best to make sure that the cover and the area it stores in is exposed to fresh FC laden water on a regular basis. Anywhere that water is allowed to stagnate could potentially start an algae bloom

Great idea on exposing the cover the the new high levels of chlorine :goodjob:

Oh and wow, just wow, look at how much you have learned over the past few days. I am impressed
You rock :rockon:

Wouldnt be anywhere without you mate...thanks.

Just did the 3rd hardware trip. The Calcium increaser at bunnings is 1000g/kg as opposed to the one I used earlier today which was 700g/kg. There is not setting for this on the pool calculator to adjust as far as I can see...does it matter? The stabiliser only differs by 4g/kg so that is ok.

Will adding more stabiliser impact chlorine measurements if I add the balance now?

Did a FC and CC test:

FC same at 13.5. CC at 1 does that mean still fighting algae?

Last edited:
I would test your calcium and see where you got to
Didnt notice it was 70% and I only use the 100% stuff you now have
But you can always add some, test and see where you got to and add more if required
In fact if you bump your calcium to 250 it would be better for your CSI

I would not add more stabiliser now
Leave it until we get the swg working
It wont impact chlorine levels, cya just lowers the rate of loss and buffers the chlorine for bather comfort

It doesn't appear that you are battling much algae if any
An OCLT will confirm this

However you do have CC at 1 which is not good
In a pool running under TFP if I saw 1 CC I would keep an eye on it and test for CC daily
If the FC usage rose or the CC rose or stayed at 1 I would then slam

To my mind I would keep your FC at 12 for at least 24 hours
If you pass your OCLT tonight you can let the FC drift down
And maybe on Tuesday start up the swg

It wont hurt to keep the FC elevated for a bit
You can still swim if the water has warmed up and the FC is 1ppm under slam level
You can then bring the FC back up after you have swum

I may have another issue. Im not sure if you are familiar with the remco swimroll, see link of video below:

Swimroll Installation Videos, Examples Of Swimroll Pool Covers | Remco[portfolio_img_group_608]/6/

These covers are made of individual slates each with holes 5mm diamater to assist with bouyancy, as I have the clear cover I can see mustard colour in this and am not sure how to get it out. I will need to devicse a plan to attach a hose to a 5mm outside diameter outlet with enough pressure to blast this staff out over the 3m width: I only have a very smal 10mm gap between the edge of my pool to bend this nozzle in as well..yikes. I have attached a photo of my problem too:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I found a way. If I stop the cover at the skimmer box I can get to the hole on the side. Now I just need to get enough pressure. The hose wont do it. I have a pressure washer but its too long to get into the skimmer. Maybe there is a pressure nozzle for the hose.

Now the only thing Caco is I may be adding water to the pool which will dilute the chlorine potentially. So should I finish the SLAM first or do this and maintain the SLAM for longer?

Could be algae..dead or alive. If i was out then it will hit the main pool and die...its 3m wide so squirt probably wont get it to where we need to. I was just worried about adding more fresh water. The other thing is i cant get to rest of to half ty he cover anyway. 4th trip to bunnings now for a solution

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

I think you need to slow down a bit and figure out what it is first
Is it possible to shove a cotton bud or something in there to grab a bit
If sediment it would feel gritty to the touch
If algae it would probably be slimy or just poof away

If its sediment then we need to clean it out
If its algae then all we need to do is get bleach in there

Great minds think alike, however the complication 2/3s of the cover arent accessible from the skimmer and 1/3 of the 2/3's cant be accessed at all. For the 2/3 I need that tube to spray in at right angles whilst negotiating with the coping tile so may need to get small tubing as you mentioned, may have even seen something in the irrigation department that convert from a standard hose to a 5mm dirp line.

The other thought I had is to figure out how the slats come apart. I can take them out 1 by one and clean.

is it only on the ends? could it be picking something up from in the track?

- - - Updated - - -

I might have to call for reinforcements on this one
That cover probably cost more than my whole pool setup, so no I have never seen one :confused:

Still we will find an answer

Edited
It could be copper staining :(

Found some spare slats under the house to play with. Took some photos below. Will see if and how they come apart. They cam in 3's when delivered and I have seen the guy remove 1 at a time but didnt really look at how. If I work that out I may be able to clean and clear everything. The sediment is through out the hole you see in the slat. I may be able to high pressure wash but the problem is I can clear the top but not the under side.

Now the darker brown toward the edge could be copper or other staining as it is all plastic. But along the grooves is definitely an algae or sediment as it move when I move the cover.
I just had a go at undoing a slat and it aint easy. Im going to have to try the pressure washer tomorrow night after work.

How dark does it have to be to start OCLT? My house pool faces east and the sun sets in the west so although it is still light there is no sun on the water. Same for the morning...do I really need to get up at 5am? Please say no...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.