Percentage and run time

Pyrodav

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Dec 11, 2016
Chillicothe/ohio
After reading for a half hour trying to figure this out I still wanna ask to be sure. So...when I open my pool up this spring and say I wanna run it 24/7, my IC20 is set for 10%. Does that mean that my cell will only be energized and start the 10,000 hr clock at 2.4 hrs. per day? My cell has never been energized BTW.

Have no clue if it needs to be at 10%. Just trying to figure out how the math works on my cell life.

Thanks,
David

Last edited:
David,

You are correct. For every hour the pump is running, your SWCG will only produce chlorine for 10% of the time...

With an IC20 I'd start at 40% and then check the FC level, at the same time each day, and adjust the % up or down based upon your test data. I always shoot for staying at or above 5 ppm at all times.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

To the life of your cell and the amount of chlorine generated, it make no difference if you run 10% for 10 hours, 20% 5 hours, 50% 2 hours, or 100% for 1 hour. It's all the same.

I live in Thailand and we are going into winter. Temp is 60 at night and 80 during the day.
I cut my run time from 7 hours to 5 hours and where I am only running 5 hrs, I have my SWG on 100%.
FC is 5
CC is 0
if I check Chlorine with the color tube, it is off the chart. I rather keep my Chlorine a little high than ever have to battle the Green Monsta........cutting my run time 2 hrs a day took 34.00 off my electric bill.

FYI, for some SWG, there are a couple of settings - the %age like spoken above, and also a power (current) setting. My unit has 3 power settings as well, so chlorine production and cell life will be a factor of both of these. Not sure if Hayward has these.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.