Owner/builder SoCal

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]I have enough dirt for everyone's planters. I'd feel like Oprah handing it all out, "you get dirt and you get dirt and YOU, you get dirt!" This isn't the soil I'd use in my planter though. Have you heard of Mel's mix? I make that for my planter beds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing in them... they are just "there" in front of the house; however, my 9yo has made it her life mission to plant flowers [emoji23][emoji23]

Because you have seating areas on two sides of your pool and the bar you have to figure out where you can put the lights. You get the concept and sometimes there are no easy answers.

Are you contemplating nicheless lights ? Like these? http://www.pentairpool.com/products/lighting-white-aqualumin-iii-lights-9.htm Generally nicheless lights don't require bonding so its one less thing to fail on inspection.

Lighting is something you need to think about now because you need to rough in the conduit and a niche (if required) for the pre-gunite inspection along with the plumbing.

You want to think about junction box placement. Running 50 feet of cord even through 1 inch conduit is not always fun.

If your husband feels confident he should read this http://www.mikeholt.com/download.php?file=PDF/Swimming_Pools_and_Spas_2014NEC.pdf

That downloads as a PDF. But its the 2014 NEC. California uses the 2011 NEC with some changes. Pools are different so experience on residential or commercial can sometimes lead one astray.

Because you have seating areas on two sides of your pool and the bar you have to figure out where you can put the lights. You get the concept and sometimes there are no easy answers.

Are you contemplating nicheless lights ? Like these? http://www.pentairpool.com/products/lighting-white-aqualumin-iii-lights-9.htm Generally nicheless lights don't require bonding so its one less thing to fail on inspection.

Lighting is something you need to think about now because you need to rough in the conduit and a niche (if required) for the pre-gunite inspection along with the plumbing.

You want to think about junction box placement. Running 50 feet of cord even through 1 inch conduit is not always fun.

If your husband feels confident he should read this http://www.mikeholt.com/download.php?file=PDF/Swimming_Pools_and_Spas_2014NEC.pdf

That downloads as a PDF. But its the 2014 NEC. California uses the 2011 NEC with some changes. Pools are different so experience on residential or commercial can sometimes lead one astray.

The haywards (color logic 320/network connection) we were planning on using are nicheless (so no bond or ground). They are the Hayward version of the ones you linked to except led not halogen. http://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/pools/universal-colorlogic-pool---spa-lights-i-liuniv--1We planned on using a combination of their different lighting sizes but now I'm wondering if we should just use the 1.5" and distribute them around the perimeter of the pool. They also have .5" diameter lights. They can be run at 50 and 100% brightness and can be controlled by an app on our phones. Mike Holt's articles and ebook are great references. My husband is is not the type to make assumptions so hopefully he'll get it right ... otherwise we'll all be fried.

I hear you on running wire through long conduit...not my favorite thing to do either but we've done it on several other projects as long as we keep it straight the length isn't so much of an issue as throwing a turn in there would be. I planned for three or four planters around the pool so Mike could hide his junction boxes.

We got our permits in December to avoid using the 2014 code - it took effect Jan. 1 in our area.

With how long it's taking us to dig the pool I figured we'd have time to think about the lights [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] but you're right, we definitely need to now

Last night I drew in where I think the lights will go. After talking with Mike I think we will add a Hayward color logic 40 or 80 to the middle step (same height as the reef shelf). He also thinks we should put 3 80s by the swim up bar - one between each stool instead of the two 160s. If anyone has any pics of their colorlogics that would be ve
IMG_5366-e1484751970994.jpg
ry helpful. Our plaster choice is going to be a light blue pebble. The Hayward 320s put off 576 lumens; 160s 325 lumens...etc.

I am zero help with lights as we don't have any in ours lol but in good news looks like this may be the last of the down pours for January at least ... after these next few says I will be having to drain the pool again [emoji849][emoji849]

It's crazy! Did you see the tornado warnings? Maybe one will just suck the rest of the dirt from my yard [emoji23]

I am a displaced TX girl so tornado warnings here make me giggle as well as the "thunderstorm" warnings [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

But the rain this winter has been phenom... did you see where 42% of the state is out of drought?!?!?

I am a displaced TX girl so tornado warnings here make me giggle as well as the "thunderstorm" warnings [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

But the rain this winter has been phenom... did you see where 42% of the state is out of drought?!?!?

Yes! Hopefully it continues so we can see better adds on our billboards than drought alerts [emoji1]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's a lake! I was just about to post a pic. What do you think about the bubblers? Mike wants three spaced apart on the Baja shelf, I like how they look grouped together like a fountain but I'd be fine with them spaced a part too

I am no help there..... I have nothing fancy on ours.. the pool is over 30 years old lol

What is their purpose? Then maybe I can lol

I drained this yesterday to mid skimmer after Friday's downpour.... as you can see, I will be draining again whenever this slows down lol It is up to the concrete [emoji849][emoji849][emoji849] this will be drain #6

FA3DFEC0-1B42-4952-A59A-2320412D5E94.jpg

Lol we aren't getting any better today [emoji23][emoji23] be careful on the roads... I am close to that closed down section in Long Beach...

Let's build a boat!!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.