Chlorine and heat

Apr 24, 2015
Chesapeake/ Virginia
I have a question about chlorine (FC) loss due to the sun. Is it due to UV rays or is it because of heat? I want to get a stinner set up and more than likely the container will be in a hot shed. Will I have a problem with the chlorine that I store and it not being as effective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question about chlorine (FC) loss due to the sun. Is it due to UV rays or is it because of heat? I want to get a stinner set up and more than likely the container will be in a hot shed. Will I have a problem with the chlorine that I store and it not being as effective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chlorine loss is both due to UV AND heat in a pool. In perfectly clean water with no sources of organic contamination for chlorine to react with, auto-oxidation reduction of the chlorine will occur at a rate that is temperature dependent.

Now, as for bleach, heat will also affect it's stability. This thread covers the basic chemistry in detail - Breakdown of bleach over time by storage temperature

People who have had similar concerns to yours have gone through the trouble of actually burying the tank in ground to keep the bleach out of the sun and stabilize the temperature of tank.

- - - Updated - - -

See this thread for a buried tank approach - My Stenner install and bulk bleach storage strategy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.