Raypak recommended, what about pumps

jeffbg

Jul 29, 2008
I'm the new owner of a home with an in-ground spa, no pool. Older Pentair pumps and heater, some which are leaking slightly. Thinking of an overhaul for energy efficiency to new pumps and a new gas heater. I see Raypak is highly recommended on the heater.

Why Raypak?

What pumps should I consider?

I have goldline controls and would rather not replace that.

Thanks!

- Jeff

All the folks here who know heaters recommend Raypak. Pentair pumps are great. They make 2 VS pumps. 3hp 011055 Intellifo and 1-1/2hp Superflo 342001. They are very energy efficient.

If you want to keep your Goldline controls, then we always recommend that you stick to pump brands that are compatible with your automation. Pentair pumps are great, but there's no point in sticking a Chevy engine in a Ford. So if you stay with Goldline, then look at the various pumps offered by Hayward. However, for heaters, definitely go with Raypack. The major automation systems (Hayward, Pentair, Jandy, etc) are designed to work with just about any brand of heater and so you might as well go with the brand that seems to have best longevity and lowest cost-of-ownership which is Raypack.

Interesting enough... The system has Goldline / Hayward controls, and older pentair pumps, which seem to work, so if Pentair are good pumps (had them on my old pool), why not?

I think you'll have to be more specific about your equipment. If the Pentair pumps were single speed or two speed pumps, then those can be easily setup with just about any controller. The newer Pentair VSPs are designed to be powered on all the time (220V) and then their operation is remotely controlled through a serial communication line. If your automation can't communicate with the Pentair pump through the serial line, then you'll be stuck using the front panel controls on the pump to setup schedules and pump speeds or manually change speeds as needed.

Maybe when it's light out, you can list all of the equipment on your pad (makes & models) and then we can have a more productive conversation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.