Pool winterizing for newbie pool guy

Hello everyone my name is James from Mooresville, NC just north of Charlotte. I am a first time pool owner so this web site is awesome for a "do it your self er" like me so thank you in advance for the questions I'll be asking.

I did have a few questions on Pool winterizing in NC. In the process of debating weather or not to pay someone $225 to "winterize" an in ground Viynl 16x36 pool, or do it myself, I have called several local "pool service guys" to see what they do and what is needed. They tend to say that they really don't have much of a frost line down here min NC (I'm originally from Ohio) and that pipes don't freeze and all they really do is lower the water below the skimmer and put in a gizmo in the skimmer basket, take out the ladder and put my cover on. They don't blow out lines or even plug the jets. Some guys I have read in other forums on this page say the don't even winterize at all and just cover for the leaves falling and run the pool as normal.
So my question is should I just run my pump in the colder times (at night during the winter months say from 10pm-4am) the coldest it seems to get is maybe 10 degrees.All the while maintaining my chemical and NOT shock and turn off everything drain pump etc OR go the route of total closure, shock closing kit, plug jets, blow out line and turn the whole thing off completely. Cross posted message
Thanks again for any and all tips

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP,

As long as you don't lose flow during deep hard freezes you don't need to close. Have a pool pro check to make sure you have a freeze timer or automated equivalent installed on your system, and you should be fine. If you can be certain to have circulation taken care of manually, you're ok with that as well. Most modern setups are equipped with automatic freeze circulation however. Meaning, your timer, or more sophisticated automation turns the pump on during freezing temps. We are about in the same boat here, and hardly any of us ever close. I've done both with regard to covering (or not) for leaf fall. It's a huge pain to scoop leaves, but it's a pain to keep the cover cleaned/pumped off all winter as well. Additionally, you must make certain the cover is securely anchored but there are options with cover types to handle this. Hope this helps...

Enjoy your time here. :goodjob:

Hey man thanks for the advice, I don't think my motor(pump) or timer has a "freeze feature" to go on by itself when it gets below a certain temp, Last couple of night have been down to 18 degrees but only for like 8 hours or so, is there a possibility of the motor or pump freezing up if I just turned off the power and let it sit for a month or 2 (most all the leaves have been fished out) and just cover it, keeping an eye on my chemicals every week or so?

I'm down here in Wilmington and still have my pool open per say. Its an above ground but with the crazy weather we've been having my water temps are all over the place. Low 50's to mid 60's depending on the day temps. With the freezing weather we've been getting I've Just adjusted my timer to where it runs over night. All my leaves are down so my hair pulling leaf scooping is all but done for the most part. Really trying to decide on weather or not to close it down at all.

This will be our first winter as new pool owners and are going to try it without closing. We are in Mullins, SC. We have freeze protection and swg and have turned pump down to run once in morn and once in eve at lowest speed (3 hours total) to keep CH levels satisfactory. So far its going just fine and the pools is new enough that I still enjoy scooping leaves ?. Good luck! (and hurry up Spring-time!)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

This will be our first winter as new pool owners and are going to try it without closing. We are in Mullins, SC. We have freeze protection and swg and have turned pump down to run once in morn and once in eve at lowest speed (3 hours total) to keep CH levels satisfactory. So far its going just fine and the pools is new enough that I still enjoy scooping leaves ?. Good luck! (and hurry up Spring-time!)

Ha! Don't listen to me, I am a newbie too. Just learned I'll have to switch to chlorine soon, probably soon after this cold front has moved through.

Any time the temp is expected to be near or below 32 at night, I manually turn my pump on and leave it running until the temp comes back up. At a temp of 18, I'd most certainly run the pump.

Why risk all of your plumbing? If you're going to leave water in it, make sure it's running when it's freezing outside. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I figured I would comment on this thread rather than start a new one. I'm in Greenville, SC so further south than some of the aforementioned posters. I have an 18,000 gallon vinyl lined inground pool. So the gist is that I don't even need to drain the pool below the skimmer/jets as long as I run the pump in freezing conditions? What about chemicals? I've been using only liquid chlorine and hoping there is something I can purchase that will largely take care algae instead of having to still regularly add chlorine.

Most of the videos I've seen on youtube have people plugging skimmers and jets, using an air compresser to blow out lines, etc... I'm hoping I can avoid all of that.

I figured I would comment on this thread rather than start a new one. I'm in Greenville, SC so further south than some of the aforementioned posters. I have an 18,000 gallon vinyl lined inground pool. So the gist is that I don't even need to drain the pool below the skimmer/jets as long as I run the pump in freezing conditions? What about chemicals? I've been using only liquid chlorine and hoping there is something I can purchase that will largely take care algae instead of having to still regularly add chlorine.

Most of the videos I've seen on youtube have people plugging skimmers and jets, using an air compresser to blow out lines, etc... I'm hoping I can avoid all of that.

You've got it. Some winters I don't close mine, I just put the cover over it for the winter. If you don't have a thermometer I very much suggest getting one. Once your water temp drops below ~60F algae won't grow very quickly at all. If you are running the pump over winter, it's still a good idea to check the water a few times, and adjust pH and FC as needed. Realistically this could be once a month, more if we get one of those weird warm spells.

If it gets super cold I'll throw a tarp over the equipment with a 60w light on underneath. Maybe overkill but it gives me piece of mind.

Watch when the temps start to rise and get more diligent as it gets back towards 60F again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.