Upgrade to SP2303VSP Max-Flo? Opinions for a simple IG, non-SWG pool in Phoenix

Oct 7, 2016
Phoenix
I’m getting ready to replace an old single speed pump and understand that with my simple pool setup I could probably get away with a 2-speed pump but I like the additional flexibility of the VS pumps.

I’m in Phoenix. My simple in-ground play pool was built in 97 and is Pebble-tec, 12,000 gallons, one typical skimmer with single floor drain combo, a dedicated suction line for a Nautilus cleaner (Jandy-type valve at pump inlet to control suction) and a small adjustable spray head for summer cooling. 3 returns, non-SWG, no heater, no solar, no water features.

My equipment is a single-speed ¾ HP 220V Hayward SP3007 pump, a TR60 sand filter and a Jandy-type valve to divide the suction between the Nautilus sweep and the skimmer/floor drain. I use a typical Intermatic grey box timer with two run periods daily and adjust the run length with the seasons.

I use liquid chlorine and the TF100 test kits for balancing. Bathing load is low. Usually just the wife and I.

I’m looking at the newer Max-Flo VS-S2303. I like that it can be run stand-alone at 8 speeds or with several automation choices. I like the swivel or remote mount option on the control panel. I’ve heard that compared to the older 2302 model this new one is slightly less efficient but I hope that means this one will have better reliability overall. I will self-install and take the opportunity to re-plumb the whole filter area so that it flows better and not so close to my A/C unit.

The one variable that I might mention is that I have a grid-tie PV solar system and generate close to 100% of our power needs. Any load I can reduce at the pool will build our energy credits that help keep us from purchasing additional power for cooling during the summer when the panels are hot and less efficient. The pool pump is the last thing I can easily upgrade to reduce our energy use.

We’ll be staying in this house for at least 20 more years if not more. These are all long-term strategies so I’m not shooting for a short payback. I’m trying to make good choices now that will pay off in the long run through efficiency and reduced maintenance/replacement. I don’t mind paying for quality as long as that’s what I get.

Comments from anyone in a similar situation or that has made the swap to VS with what I consider a very basic pool setup?

Thanks!

Attachments

• melba_pool-001.jpg
    melba_pool-001.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 107
  • melba_pool-002.jpg
    melba_pool-002.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 108
I’ve heard that compared to the older 2302 model this new one is slightly less efficient but I hope that means this one will have better reliability overall.
Why would that be? I wouldn't assume that.

If you do go with a VS, make sure you install surge protection with it.

Why would that be? I wouldn't assume that.

RE: Efficiency of the new 2303 slightly less than the older 2302?
Now that I checked it was actually one of your posts from last June where I read that. Maybe I did not understand you comments?

For the MaxFlo, there are now three versions, SP2300, SP2302 & SP2303/SP23115VSP. The last two being the only ones offered on Haywards site. What is interesting, according to the test data, is that the SP2303 is a little less efficient than the other two. It has a lower head curve but a bigger motor which is just opposite of what you might expect. They may of had thermal issues with the other two so they increased the motor size and downsized the impeller. At least that is what I gather from the test data data. So the SP2303 is a little less efficient than the older pumps.

If you do go with a VS, make sure you install surge protection with it.

Thanks. I have the surge protection purchased and ready to install when I do the re-work. I also have whole house protection at the meter as well.

I agree completely that a VS pump makes life better even for a simple pool. Our pool is also fairly simple. The eneegy efficiency alone is worth it to me. I run mine at 1100 rpm for skkmmjng, filtering and making chlorine with the SWG and it only uses 150 watts. When the trees are busy I can run it 24x7 to keep leaves skimmed for less than 12 bucks a month. Having the flexibility to dial in the flow rates for solar, extra skimming, etc is a bonus. The ability to quickly reprogram to run at night for cooling or during the day to warm it at whatever speed works best just makes it better and easier to run your pool.

If I've saved 50 bucks a month over the last 5 years that is 3,000 bucks. I've seen people spending $100 or even more per month.

Now that I checked it was actually one of your posts from last June where I read that. Maybe I did not understand you comments?
I probably should have been clearer. The pump curve for the 2303 is steeper than the 2302 which makes the pump (sans motor) slightly less efficient (i.e. it takes more shaft energy to produce the same flow rate). Upside is that the 2303 has a bit more head on the left side of the curve so it could deliver more flow rate at higher head loss. At lower head loss it delivers less flow rate. The part about the thermal issues was pure speculation and I have no idea if that is one of the reasons why they up sized the motor but they may have also done that for other reasons (e.g. head curve).

Since no one advised otherwise, I ordered the SP2303VSP pump online last Sunday morning and to my surprise, it arrived already on Tuesday morning. With the local $100 SRP utility rebate deducted, I'll got the pump for $561 delivered.

I plan to install it between the Christmas and New Year's holidays because our plant is shut down and I'll be on vacation a few extra days. It's a good time of year since the water is cold, the sun hours are short and I can work outside without sweating away 10 pounds. I'll be replumbing the whole area, setting a new base, cleaning up the wiring, valves, adding surge protection, etc. It's a 19-year old pool so some updates are due.

I'm also planning to allow some provisions for chlorine and acid feeding after I study this popular multi-year, multi-page thread.
Homemade Acid OR Chlorine Injection System

Update:

Relocation and upgrade to VSP pump went slowly but successfully. I had elbow surgery just before Christmas and also had visitors the entire 10 days of my holiday so not much got done until the last week.

I know my pool setup is simple compared to most of the systems I see here. With the work just completed I now have very easy access to all the equipment, a solid concrete base underfoot, more surge protection, an automated valve, shorter pipe runs to the pool and a waste line now tied into the city sewers. The removable sightglass on the waste line can have a temporary connection substituted so that a flexible drain hose can be added if I want to drain water to my yard or plants.

I also installed a new GFI, time clock and outdoor box and a 120VAC service outlet. The Jandy valve is controlled by a 6-station sprinkler timer that I got new at a garage sale for $5. The Hayward valve actuator was found NIB on Craiglist for $60. It changes from the skimmer port to the sweep port 15 minutes before the pool pump goes to 2000 RPM for the sweep to work perfectly. After the sweep is complete the motor drops back to 1150 RPM and the valve then changes back to the skimmer.

I'll paint all the pipes and ID all the lines in the next few weeks. If you noticed the black DWV pipe, that is the connection to the house waste line which works out nicely. With the low pressure on that line I wasn't worried about the 22.5 degree connector used in the waste line right after the sight glass (I know you all will see that). :) The connection to the house drain line was easy through an existing cleanout port and using a 4-way connector I was able to retain a cleanout plug and an air break valve.

I'm compacting and smoothing the soil to drain rain away from the foundation and then will put down a layer of 1/4 minus rock like I have around the yard elsewhere.

For anyone wondering about my choice of pump location, that big shade screen does not have a window behind it anymore. Due to a kitchen remodel there are a whole row of cabinets on that wall so you will never look out a window and see the pool stuff. I just haven't patched all the stucco behind it yet so the old screens hide that for now.

My storage shed is just behind the pump in the photos and I'll be installing a DIY chlorine injection there where it stays a little cooler. This is on the east side of the house but I will still make a small shade cover for the pump. Summer is brutal here on plastic outdoors. I have decided not to remotre mount the control panel on the pump. It's plenty easy to access where it is now. This pump allows you to rotate the keypad so it faces you however you place the pump.

qwhyrTQuOLLNw3OoY-eg2mK7rZs1LTjOdBscy2yT0Cpml0D3FPiNtyjtR-IUOSe2JlAGoKn9puJmDCEgtu5VfXvyDjie7Uz7AVocn8Donwlenr5AnF9lY5CDYs9Jcz_INZfVbO25bQunL8hjOtsT9JyIRAmZsKhPBgStiWCcresteFBcuUDfAvMMr_kv2YJ57QV4AOmXIZZ_XJI1-a64y81Tgvx5uWAP1wwXkjdEcZ3a_DQRVXb_uuNBisJsC-VBIKsp8fNbCPz_OEFANInP-V_4_d-p3eBuF7IeGvdMupLQt5NWyIC4FJRYGut7u_5XwQQvLhcuhdwwcm2sBkrCMoTVXn72LsYus_GPZqteIVAfZmi7diXKScFkvWvL7OcwSSeczIHHcBknbfeQJqfwywmmxxTl5IbPr7AaZTCLfZDXhsLokxTlcZR51eHmwst6e5MSoIVD9iCkL-tBZ8ZckKeMUM9mc-C7MeOwajVQs37axZ4kvbxk90l4dcYYa5ZV8aztvSRegjEouoILTPFkOBGyCPQWM7aG900unWbLNaUuXwIEeWetM8ck7b_g_zfSZuct2edTD49EEdNpJTkQaH8R47iSz-4uqRsXPimHRuiAlvXgcwqb=w1200-h646-no

VxH8nkeiNT5f6pDWKRRp80YJow2K4NOQapSn3asmTJBDCPXpFo8jyrJvxfDx1frYoaoyG9Mxy-j63GnCB3qm4Si2q-_IhzuxCtaXNWNbqYwf3xDXuz_rKTxKculXV_6Jdv-_xZVMiD_tb8dlkxl-SldWHOCUpI3foUTL7nKePDctLrtQKKMpBhUIqwKG__E6s3mbbS7VE2fmOmgUhdrXbudOqVCbYrjHUKYv969OjzIvh3-1YzXUT5xk_aGBaZS_uoSGAH9LAYiqzc1QU0sJoYqZ8MEA9cJ03CT7at5TzmYiVNsB0_unYRMdpsuV1ZTQr85Rt3zSxnAlEtQd6mFDRrumw5PpysKmPyV9qjj_5Rn4MWsjszTMLRQk6lSSclHIJKJ2TxXapWD5bjROpKO8uEszdp_lYTSkUPfr6eiun2jVWWK6LmMoou2iZfQoMfqjwIFQbLnqj9-EWp4IzVHM325O4zfsyARpR2d8McIu8HNsEP21SIm1gCraekuqFKQ1ngLN65jbDj26ebiFegIzyre9rAtgnFuFec34XlSy5aEFCjAOchffT0RmPQS6mQWqbIW9nnWmPpXg0iy4E5nvMi1Y6E2NaZJNq3LEHsBEiCuvnnWI-RA8=w885-h950-no

5W2Y3526dyeFcPpDYxf0KQJSt_ZXCEugzpFdyB6XNJx7MUe8qWyOJHQBmK4C1vBbnWSNr5nMvX8m4yxpympOqKhgU8jtLQq6hzUQBWs-I62CT63PFWn5jNOKff3mduHXpLiLcz-e2hQ5ghNxJA90VA6j5C-YkQdJtZI7QU122Srmu2gKHmUirJ_EsSefNHl2qFfEDlbMbAsES5VsT4qQFdntJUUjEwGdyRpP1WhsTxBQcwMUI-lhqYiQGCtXrjxXdUdQIdMrRrkUrAoqUp22zQ9Dcpr37dBsvO6290qQ0mXHYFngPCU5FrlUDjxxXc20QfaOHHSLYu5JozNPBVZrO_S1C2OpmQkEahIJ56ODrZzDkkh3TThTufLf4FP-_WVEjpqNyVgz4l62jS8xYdVsFBvbGQwkR4fI_OI-xgkVQg4Jbyhtz_mIOs0aIR887J6E7cS8_c-uHPloKubXTmLBm8g3P2BCm4iKDCBbNUr-Wo1sn-K-b3gbc-eSjihFVvdgE5GOhAUd1eXDn5ryWO8ScD52LNyix0TibZWk_GgCSKCMXc1nlL1E62ZDXLtkIDkO7C24cLJXoFIylu0GoD9RMMNqhPCiwhC4jE7iLcB5ZNdBwOMkUXol=w1200-h675-no

Slick,

I like it!!! Soooooo much better than your original pad.

In my opinion, a VS pump is the only way to go... You are really going to like it.

I am also impressed with how you moved all the electric and controls to the wall. Very professional looking to me.

Thanks for posting your update,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the kind words.

All working great! I have since painted all the pipes and made a canvas cover for the clear backwash view tube. I also converted the make-up water feed over to softened water. With just my wife and I at home we have the softener capacity for that easily. That will help slow down the mineral buildup with the high evaporation rate in Phoenix.

The power company guy came out and blessed the VSP install/programming and I got my $100 rebate check in the mail yesterday.

I'm now testing my chlorine injection system. Total cost to add that was $22 for the peristaltic pump including the 24VAC to12VDC adapter. I've been running that for about 3 weeks and pleased with the results so far. I got the pump from Amazon and even if it only lasts a year I can deal with that for $12 each. I will pretty up that install this weekend and post back a few photos and details.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.