Hayward freeze protection

Uavmx

Sep 5, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
My Hayward vs pump has the Freeze protection enabled and it came on over the weekend. All well and good except it never turned off. I had to manually stop the pump. Is this normal? Is there a way to shut it off once the temp rises?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freeze protection is controlled by the automation controller (Omnilogic) on my pool and the way it works is that when the temp falls below a pre-set limit, the pump is automatically turned on. The pump is turned OFF by the normal run schedule (assuming the temp is higher than the limit).

I would guess the same applies without an automation controller. Do you have a set time each day when your pump turns On and Off? What was the temperature when the pump would have normally turned off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The freeze protect is only for the drive not for the water in the pool. In the early models it may have been called Freeze protect but it was changed to Low Temp. Here is how to change it in the configuration menu of the pump. PM your phone number and I will call to help..

Low Temp.jpg

Freeze protection is controlled by the automation controller (Omnilogic) on my pool and the way it works is that when the temp falls below a pre-set limit, the pump is automatically turned on. The pump is turned OFF by the normal run schedule (assuming the temp is higher than the limit).

I would guess the same applies without an automation controller. Do you have a set time each day when your pump turns On and Off? What was the temperature when the pump would have normally turned off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting. Do you think if I made a schedule at, say, 8 am when it warms up, run it for 5 minutes it would then shut it off?

The freeze protect is only for the drive not for the water in the pool. In the early models it may have been called Freeze protect but it was changed to Low Temp. Here is how to change it in the configuration menu of the pump. PM your phone number and I will call to help..

View attachment 55807

I was able to enable it, but I'm wondering how to get it to shut off automatically in the morning when it warms up.

I'm in socal, so I'm not really worried about the pool water or underground pipes freezing, just above ground water.

I am in Northern CA and don't even use freeze protection and we regularly get below freezing in the winter. Just not long enough to freeze solid and cause freeze damage. Are you sure you need it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It doesn't matter so much that you have multiple days below freezing. What matters the most is the number of continuous hours below freezing. If it is less than 8 hours, there should be no issues unless you have very small piping (i.e. Polaris pump hose) but that you can usually drain. When the temps rise again during the day, everything heats back up and cycle starts over.

Believe it or not Lancaster can have some freezing temps once in a while. Do not rely on the EcoStar to be the freeze protection for your pool, as it was not meant for that purpose. It is there to protect the drive. Where you are located most builder will recommend a freeze production unit be installed. Disable the freeze protection on the EcoStar as you will not need it.

Believe it or not Lancaster can have some freezing temps once in a while. Do not rely on the EcoStar to be the freeze protection for your pool, as it was not meant for that purpose. It is there to protect the drive. Where you are located most builder will recommend a freeze production unit be installed. Disable the freeze protection on the EcoStar as you will not need it.

It does freeze here, but at what point do you need freeze protection per above comments?

As I mentioned before, most of the pool builders in the Lancaster area actually have the new pool owner sign a form saying they recognize that freezing happens in this area and that freeze protection is warranted. I have notice years where the calls into Hayward on broken filters, backwash valves, and even heat exchangers from freeze has happened. If the night time temp gets close to freezing you would be diligent to install a freeze control.

No one is saying not to take precautions. If you read the post, there are many ways to prevent freezing and automatic freeze protection is not fool proof. There are several posts on this forum where automatic freeze protection failed and they paid the price for relying upon it.

We regularly get below freezing and down to 15F and I have not used automatic freeze protection for 10 years with no damage. But I do take precautions as is outlined in the post.

As I mentioned before, most of the pool builders in the Lancaster area actually have the new pool owner sign a form saying they recognize that freezing happens in this area and that freeze protection is warranted. I have notice years where the calls into Hayward on broken filters, backwash valves, and even heat exchangers from freeze has happened. If the night time temp gets close to freezing you would be diligent to install a freeze control.

What's a freeze control? I also have the Hayward Ecostar. The freeze protection has been running the last week or so. My PB explained it as freeze protection not protection for the pump drive. If there is something additional or different, I have no information about it.

Hi Nursenini, If your pool builder is telling you the low temp protection on the pump is for freeze protection it is not. It was designed to protect the drive. A freeze protection device is separate. In all cases it is best to always make sure any device to help with freezing is working correctly. As one gentleman stated many do not use them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.