FC levels?

Welcome to TFP!

We base FC levels on the amount of stabilizer (Cya) you have in the pool. If you were to run your pool on 0.5-1.0 PPM FC, it would first be extremely diffcult to keep that minimal level, and you will never have success in keeping the pool from Algae blooms if you could. I'll invite you to check out our pool school and first begin with the ABCs. All the answers are here, and there are always plenty of folks around to answer any questions that arise.

Welcome to TFP!

We base FC levels on the amount of stabilizer (Cya) you have in the pool. If you were to run your pool on 0.5-1.0 PPM FC, it would first be extremely diffcult to keep that minimal level, and you will never have success in keeping the pool from Algae blooms if you could. I'll invite you to check out our pool school and first begin with the ABCs. All the answers are here, and there are always plenty of folks around to answer any questions that arise.

Thanks. I have the FC at 3.5 and have checked out the ABC's. Very informative. Just wondering why all the difference on who you ask. Seems like it would be pretty standard.

I had a similar experience when my pool was built. Pool builder didn't know about CYA or advise it at all. Pool store was interested in loading us up on other chemicals (I still have a bottle of phosphate remover somewhere!)

Here the numbers and suggestions are built on science, not the myths. The explanations of how and why CYA and chlorine work together makes a lot of sense. NOt only that, using these methods allow for higher than 'normal' FC levels to make sure that algae bloom doesn't get started.

Pool builder also told us to shock the pool weekly, in addition to keeping that FC level at 2 (using test strips to compare).

If you follow these guidelines here, you may never have to shock (or SLAM) your pool.
Just takes a little reading and maintenance, and you will have that troublefree pool you are looking for.

The problem is that nearly everyone you talk to that thinks they know how to care for a pool has a different way of doing it. And most of those ways are just guesses based off marketing and product labels on pool store chemicals. What you, as a pool owner, must do, is find one of these methods and stick with it. I advise you find and stick with the TFPC method.

I know what you mean. Seems like my pool builder is clueless when it comes to the chemistry. He started it with way to much salt and didn't advise me on cya at all. I think all the info I need is on this site. (thank goodness )

My PB outsourced the 'pool school' to a local service company, that guy walked us thru chemical additions, add a puck a day, every other day walk around pool dumping in MA, stabilizer 'stabilizes' the chlorine so it works better. Oh by the way, our services are available for hire. Only thing he showed us that we still use is how to clean the cartridge filter.

Even pool store couldn't explain relationship between CYA and FC and why FC levels had to depend on CYA levels and not act independently, just keep it at 30 and FC 1-3. No adjustments needed for SWG.

So live, learn and enjoy!

There are industry standards which have their basis in some science but there is just a lot of "old wive's tales" knowledge out there too. The industry will typically default to the NSPF (National Swimming Pool Foundation) Certified Pool Operator (CPO) licensing/training information. However, while there's a lot of good information in the CPO class, there's also a lot wrong with it too. Richard Falk (chem geek) wrote up an excellent post on the short-comings he found in the CPO material -

Certified Pool Operator (CPO) training -- What is not taught

As for the specifics of chlorine, the industry is still stuck in the pre-1970's mindset that FC is a static quantity (1-4ppm) that needs no adjustment (just get it somewhere in that range). This flies in the face of all the science regarding the relationship between FC and cyanuric acid (CYA) which acts as a powerful chlorine buffer and stabilizer. Because the industry ignores the FC/CYA relationship, pool owners often find themselves in trouble very quickly because these two chemicals are easy to get out of balance. This has had the unintended effect of making pool ownership miserable for so many people and leading people to "hate" chlorine pools even though chlorine is the safest and most effective form of chemical water sanitation. It's truly mind-boggling how willfully ignorant an industry can become.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.