Calling IT help, Pentair Screenlogic

rob.mwpropane

In The Industry
Jun 9, 2015
Baldwin, Maryland
I have a client who we installed a Pentair Easytouch system for to control some features around his pool. My problem is that the system has lost connection twice in the last 2 months. The first time I was on the phone for an hour and had to cycle power to the unit multiple times to get the protocol adapter to start working again. This week, I got another call. Cycling power to the unit fixed the problem right away. I again called Pentair to let them know about it and the guy said the problem might be with the router in the home, which I find hard to believe as nothing else in the home craps out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The guy from Pentair said something about the router probably being set for auto duplex, when it need to be set to full?

I mean, this is an important client, and this makes me look bad seeing as how it's in the course of 2 months??

I'm all ears...

Are you using the wireless connection kit or is the Screenlogic hardwired to the ET panel? The home router comes into play for the users devices - PC's, phones, tablets to connect to the home network, the screen logic device then plugs in to the network via ethernet. Seems that is a very unlikely issue - especially if the users don't experience any other issues with web sites or mail, etc.

If the Screenlogic device is in the house and plugged into ethernet and you are using the wireless connection kit to get the signal out to the panel - that wireless connection has nothing to do with the homeowners router/network. I don't know if Pentair publishes the specs they use, but that is a dedicated wireless signal between the inside device and the antenna that gets mounted outside. Guessing you already know that, but I'm wondering if it is this connectivity that is dropping - between screen logic and the antenna wired in to the ET panel. Check the portion of the wireless connection that is in side the house. It doesn't have an external antenna, but it does have one side that it says to keep clear of all metal objects for 2 ft. Check that and make sure it isn't buried in a bunch of cables.

There is a another recent thread here about a homeowner wanting information about using different automation with Pentair equipment because their PB told them the Screen Logic wireless connection wouldn't transmit very far. How far are you having to transmit?

Personally I've never had an issue, but I'm only transmitting about 20 ft through a brick wall and a couple of interior walls.

Ok. So some troubleshooting options.

1) buy a long enough Ethernet cable to allow you to temporarily hard wire it, if that is possible. If you still have the problem, it is not the private Pentair RF link.

2) do you have it set to DHCP? If you don't know what this is, let us know. If yes, many routers set a limit of 10-20 devices for DHCP. everything works fine, someone comes in with the 21st device, and somebody gets bounced off.

3) when it fails, ping the IP of the brick. If you get a response, it is probably not your router.

4). Latest brick firmware?

5) take a screenshot of your IP information on the brick. Publish here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.