New build in NRH, TX

Luke Alverson

Bronze Supporter
Greetings from north Texas. Posted in the introductions forum, moving over here. Started a week ago, great progress so far.

Only hiccup is that that the shell was poured a bit too deep in the shallow end, overall about 3"-8" too deep, more as you get closer to the deep break. So, builder is going to shoot some more gunnite to get the depth per plans and smooth the slope. Searched a lot of info on the forums for this and found some useful information, and it's apparently more common than I initially thought.

Masonry should start soon, once we get a chance to dry out a bit. I'll update with more pics as the progress keeps moving. IMG_0224.jpgIMG_0225.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome! Tile installed yesterday, coping being cut and installed today. For anyone wondering, tile is Noble NSHC 681 Crystal Lake. Coping will be OK flagstone, I'll post another pic when there's something more exciting to see.

Pool%20tile_zps7lbdjrfr.jpeg

Gunite crew should be out today or Monday to add the extra material to level out the shallow end. Going to be onsite to watch that in person...

Gunite crew was able to make it out yesterday and add the extra material to level out the shallow end a bit. Got 4"-5" inches in at the thickest, and they blended it in really well. I don't think I'll even be able to tell they added anything once it cures fully. I'll post a picture as soon as I can get a good daylight shot.

If anyone out there has had any experience with having to add extra gunite during a build, whether from an off-spec shoot in/pour or just changed your mind after the fact, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Particularly interested to hear if you encountered any issues with the finish installation or cure process, or a few years down the road. PB stated they have done this many times before, and warranty on the shell is still good.

With some luck, we'll have concrete forms for the decking in this Friday.

Lots of progress this week! Concrete forms set yesterday. Inspection today (fingers crossed). If good to go, should some time between tomorrow and next Tuesday. Masonry finished up on the pool yesterday. They'll have some more to do on retaining walls after the decking pour, but the bulk is done. Lot clean up will likely be Monday or Tuesday after thanksgiving--the clean crew is a bit behind from rains we've had recently.

Trying to get sod delivery set up for mid-December, but proving to be a pain in the backside...

Here's a few pics from yesterday.

IMG_1400_zpsrq93sjhn.jpg

IMG_1401_zpswmasivor.jpg

IMG_1402_zpsbwvxvuyt.jpg

IMG_1403_zpsxqd2hrcy.jpg

IMG_1404_zps7vutaxr6.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the link, Kim! Not sure i've ever seen so many pics, but the gunite add was helpful to see.

We actually poured, stained and stamped the concrete today. We were crossing our fingers on the inspection yesterday, since we pushed the limits of the easement at a few points...but the city cleared us. Rocking and rolling. I'll post some pics once the crew finishes up.

Here's a few pictures from the deck pour on Saturday. I'm really happy with the way it turned out, makes such a big difference in the look of the yard. The masons still have some work to do on the retaining walls, caps on the steps, etc., don't have a firm date on when that will happen yet. PB told me next step will be lot clean, grade and sprinkler system repair. Unfortunately that crew is a bit behind so we may not see any more action until late next week. Disappointing as that is, I've been able to start some clean up in the yard, salvaging pieces from my old flagstone patio for future equipment pad and walking paths, etc. Also made some progress in cleaning off my patio and furniture from the THICK layers of stone and mortar dust that has settled on everything! Also, being a little quiet for Thanksgiving will be a good thing...

IMG_1408_zps5ir7bwzn.jpg

IMG_1410_zpsmwuf0fd0.jpg

IMG_1412_zpszl0xyl4z.jpg

IMG_1415_zpstnstwgy3.jpg

IMG_1418_zpswka44tak.jpg

IMG_1419_zpsyxdqdtgl.jpg

IMG_1420_zpsy70hpndq.jpg

So this last week was a very productive one! After a thankfully quiet Thanksgiving, the clean and grade crew and the sprinkler repair crew got their work done this week. I was able to work from home several days this week to be there when the crews were working. SO glad I did that. Not that something would have been messed up, but being able to show them where i wanted my salvaged flagstone to go, how I wanted the sprinkler heads set up and adjusted, how the grade of the lot should be, etc., made a huge difference. Everything is just as I wanted it. Plus, I can finally water my lawn again!!

The masons also finished up with the retaining walls and flagstone caps on the deck steps. Everyone has been doing a great job, but I continue to be incredibly impressed with the masons. Their attention to detail shows in everything they do. Tolerances are tight and cuts are very clean, even around tight curves--I included a picture below of how they got the flagstone around one of my downspouts.

It's really starting to take shape, but I know we have a little ways to go. Trying to get past the NRH pre plaster inspection is proving challenging--as all inspections are in this city. Don't give them more than 10 seconds after they knock softly on the door, or else they're back in the truck and make you reschedule. Fingers crossed for inspection tuesday. If that clears, we're scheduled for plaster Wednesday. We ended up picking Luna Quartz Bermuda for the finish. The wife doesn't like the aggregate finishes of pretty much any texture, so i think it will be a good compromise. Plus, I like the color. I really want to see the install, so going to try and be home for that.

Bonus for me--I'm a landscape/grass nut, and I've been itching to get a few projects going. I was able to start laying a flagstone walk path around the back corner of the house toward equipment pad (shown in pics below). I'll add a more structure flagstone pad with a border and crushed granite base in front of the equipment, but I'm going to wait until after start-up to do that. The creative juices are already flowing, and i'm getting excited just thinking about how I'm going to get the lawn and the beds built out over the next couple of months.

My TF-100 test kit also arrived this last week. Going to do a test on the fill water this weekend to see what I'm working with. I'll post results once I do it.

If anyone has any tips, recommendations, warnings, etc. on what to do or look out for at this point of construction, I'm all ears. Thanks again for being such a great community.

file-1_zpsplqowuny.jpeg

file1_zpswzpfqgz6.jpeg

file-5_zpstmes6tvg.jpeg

file-3_zpsn3pxpmnp.jpeg

file1-1_zpsnf7i6fva.jpeg

file-2_zpsdwugxlf4.jpeg

NICE! It did pay off being there! Looks awesome! Thing should be done YOUR way if at all possible. Not that their way would be "wrong" but you know how your life is and what will work best for you. Well done!

I can't wait to see your ideas for the area around the pool!

Fill water tests-do not testing for CYA as that has to be added. Do test everything else. Post the results like this please:

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH

I will be on the look out for them.

Kim:kim:

Did my first test on the fill water. It was fun, took me back to high school chemistry class. Here's the results:

FC <1 ppm
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 150
CH 175

My rookie interpretation says the TA is a bit high, and CH a bit low. Ph right on the mark and no surprises on the FC/CC. Guessing I'll need to watch the CH level after start up and balance, and check the CSI, to see if I need to bring the calcium up. Feedback from some seasoned pros would be appreciated.

Nice job!!

You are correct in your findings.

TA will be the last thing we dial in with your new pool. It is easy to fix.

CH- ask the PB if he will be adding any thing to the water to bring this up since he will be doing the start up. Let us know what he says.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.