And Yet Another New Build From Texas

Nov 5, 2016
Ft. Worth/TX
We just narrowed our choice of PBs down to one, received approval from our HOA, and have now started the waiting game for permits, city approvals, etc. Our underground electric, gas, and fiber lines were marked at the end of last week, so at least we know the process is underway! Hope to have everything completed by Spring.

A few notes:

* We are on a corner lot, so we have a "build line" about 10' up from our sidewalk beyond which we cannot go over without significant hoop jumping for approvals; our PB kept this in mind when coming up with our plan
* We have a 4'-5' slope away from the house, hence the raised wall on the back side of the pool
* We reduced the tanning ledge shown next to the spa to about half what is shown in the picture to increase usable pool space
* Plan to have a small "ice chest" included next to the spa; PB said it won't be too hard to add
* Currently set up for one large color LED pool light plus one color LED spa light; considering whether more lights may be needed
* In one of the pictures, you'll see what appears to be a plain brick wall; we actually have two windows there which we ultimately plan to replace with french doors
* While we are on a 1/3 acre lot, our actual backyard is too shallow for a decent-sized pool, so we are basically building on the side of the house.
* Trying to decide whether to upgrade from ColorScapes to QuartzScapes

I've been lurking on this site for some time and have learned a lot! Looking forward to learning more, and I will be documenting the progress of the build as things pick up.

Here are some pictures of our design:

Attachments

• Griffith_005.jpg
    Griffith_005.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 722
  • Griffith_003.jpg
    Griffith_003.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 704
  • Griffith_004.jpg
    Griffith_004.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 712
  • Griffith_007.jpg
    Griffith_007.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 721
Hi! I am so happy to see another pool build starting up! What a fun time for you!

I love the design of the pool! I like how the shelf is inside that curve. You say it is going to be smaller? How so? It looks purrfect like it is in the mock up.

The only thing I notice right off the bat is here the light is.....it will be right in the swim lane if you were to want to swim laps at night. I would move it to the left of the rock as you are looking towards the deep end

Since you have been reading already you will not be surprised by what I am about to say LOL Please share a picture of the area the pool will be going. Do you have the pool painted out yet?

Kim:kim:

I didn't explain that correctly. There are no changes to the 2 small shelves in the deep end. In the pictures, you will see a fairly large 'tanning ledge,' about the same size as and adjacent to the spa--we are simply cutting the size of that in half. The length of the stairs will essentially be the same from the edge of the pool to the spa, but moved 'to the right' in the pictures. If the PB sends me an updated plan, I'll post it. I'll also post pics of the area of our property the pool is going in.

PB says the Jandy large LED in the deep end will put off plenty of light, so we just took his word for it. Any info available or pics of pools with the large Jandy LED that will help us understand how much (or little) light they put off? We are across the street from a greenbelt, so there is the possibility of critters, and we would prefer not to share the pool with them at night. :0

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I thought of negative edge, but there isn't really a nice view off that side of the pool...basically just an 8ft cedar fence with whatever landscaping we decide on. After I post pics of the pool placement on the property, I would appreciate your continued opinion on that.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I can't wait to see the yard and new design! It is easier to have another light put in NOW than to wish you had put one in after the fact.

Ask your PB for a pool he has done that is close to size as yours and see if you can go see it at night to help you decide!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hehe I need to see where I am spending your money! I want to do a good job!

Love all of your thoughts and plans. I am guessing you will be remove the tress in the middle of the yard as well. Will you replant them?

That basketball goal-where will it go? It is fun to play in the pool!

Oak logs for grilling=YUMMM! I also use my pecan branches in my grill which = double YUMMMMM!

Update: permit with the City of Fort Worth is on hold. Apparently, they consider our property a corner lot and are saying we must file a $400 application for variance to get approval for building the pool. Does anyone have any experience with this type of issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Building set-backs are usually clearly noted on your plat of survey. You needed to provide a survey for your permit application right?

Yes. I have the survey plat posted above. You will see a 10' build line that we are not encroaching over. The problem is that there is apparently a city restriction which prevents builds on corner lots within 75' of the property line. That is about the center of our house! PB talked to someone in the variance office who told him he saw 2 similar issues over the past year and both were approved. However, we have to somehow prove that it would be appropriate for the city to grant us a variance. I will file the paperwork, they will send notice to all of my neighbors within 300 feet of my property that I am requesting a variance for a pool, and I will have 7 minutes in late January to plead my case in front of the variance review board. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.