Leaving country for 6 months and need advice on closing pool

Catherineb

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2013
Hello everyone,
I've been debating on what to do with my pool for 6 months while I am out of the country. I called the pool company to see the cost to winterize my pool. They told me in TEXAS they don't winterize the pools due to the weather not generally being too cold.

I thought about asking a friend to clean out the leaves and add shock maybe every 3 weeks, but decided it's too much to ask of my friend.
I thought about letting it go green, but goodness knows how bad it would get in 6 months.
I thought about Paying pool guy $140 per month (nope) to service pool once a week

If I want to close my pool for 6 months, what are the steps. I read on your site that I would take care of the chemicals (once balanced, add bleach only), but what exactly would I ask the pool company to do. Blow out lines and plug them? does the pump then run or get turned off completely? would I order the cover from the pool shop or where do you recommend I buy.

Thanks in advance

Cathy

We recommend closing pools when the water gets below 60 degrees, when the algae growth is significantly reduced. If your water is not getting that cold, trying to keep it clear is going to be a challenge for that period of time.

There is no reason to blow out any pipes, that is to prevent freeze damage.

The best bet would be raise the FC up to shock level for your CYA, add polyquat 60 algaecide, and put on an opaque cover. Then leave the equipment turned off.

Likely you will open to a green pool anyway, but a SLAM will take care of that.

Hi Jimmysan and welcome to TFP! It is best to start a new thread so you can get answers intended for you and not someone else. It is fortunate that Catherineb came back to answer your question, but usually that doesn't happen when you post a question on an old thread. (Thank you Catherineb!)

Hello Catherine,
How did you resolve your issue. I have the same situation and I'm wondering what's the best option. thanks in advance
jim

Hi Jimmysan and welcome to TFP! It is best to start a new thread so you can get answers intended for you and not someone else. It is fortunate that Catherineb came back to answer your question, but usually that doesn't happen when you post a question on an old thread. (Thank you Catherineb!)
Thank you Zea3.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.