HELP! Total equipment update/replacement. What to do?

Nov 2, 2016
CAMARILLO, CA
Background:
We recently purchased a home that came with a pool and spa (in ground, gunite, I really don't know how many gallons or how big it is). The home is almost 30 years old and I'm guessing the pool (and most of the equipment) is the same age. The gas company flagged the heater because it is leaking gas and filter seems to have some issues as well. It is functioning but maybe blowing DE and other debris back into the pool and the pressure gauge doesn't work. Our home warranty will "cover" the replacement of the pool heater (sort of). So, we have quotes from 3 different companies to do a total replacement. We want to automate the system so we figure we may as well rebuild the whole thing. Of course, the 3 different companies would be using different equipment and I guess we just need some opinions on what is being recommended.

The contractor that would was sent to us by the warranty company (and the most reasonable quote) would use all Jandy parts. Any reason we should go this route?:
Heater: Jandy JXi400NK (with versa flow)
Pump: Jandy VS pump (model #vsshp270AUT
Filter: Jandy 60sqft (DEV60)
Automation: Jandy Automation (no model # listed, but says 4 relays)

One of the other companies would use mostly Pentair parts with Jandy Auqalink RS PS8

Third company would use Raypac 407 heater, Pentair intelliflo pump, pentair filter, Jandy PdA 4 PS combo automation

Any advice welcome! If you need any clarification I will do my best.

Thank YOU!!

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

Raypak is the most preferred gas heater on TFP by far. The Intellifo is an excellent pump and very energy efficient. We mostly recommend to use the same brand automation as you use for a pump because the interface usually works better. I am not familiar with the Jandy PdA 4 PS.

Thank you pooldv! So, the most cost effective (by a couple thousand dollars) route for us would be to the home warranty company do all the repairs. I guess my next question is, Is there a high likelihood we would soon regret going with all Jandy components? Or, is it the kind of thing that we wouldn't really know the difference? While we certainly would love to save some money now we don't want to have to replace these parts again anytime soon.

Jandy products are fine and will work for a long time. They just don't seem to be as well reviewed. They are certainly in the 4 or 5 brands of pool equipment.

Right. RayPak seems to be out ahead as dv says.

Then stick to one brand for the electrics. Jandy, Pentair, or Hayward.

My hayward neighbor is jealous of my pentair stuff. If that helps at all. His stuff is great too, so it is not like you can go wrong with Hayward.

My my suggestion is, look at the automation apps. Which one does more of the stuff you want? That settles you on a brand.

X2 on the 8 relays

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and Quad DE filter. It has almost all the advantages of a cartridge filter (easier to clean, high flow, low back Pressure), and all the advantages of a DE (ultra clean clear water), with little compromise. Get a size up from minimum so you get better flow and longer time between cleanings.

How many gallons?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.